Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The storage of my Tandem Island on a Trailex Trailer with the proper cradles (72020402) is staring to cause hull deformation. I was wondering if anybody else is having this problem since I thought this storage method was considered OK.

Can someone confirm the best method for storage is upside down on the aka bars and where else should the hull be supported if upside down.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've only had my TI for a couple of months, and have not had a problem storing it on the TrailX trailer. Though it has only been in the 30s to 50s here.

The dealer said that it would be fine stored on the trailer if there was bow support. So what TrailX calls a "bow stop," I call a "bow roller." I also saved some of the shipping foam that came with the trailer. If I don't plan to use the TI for a week or two, I take a chunk of that and jam it between the trailer tongue and the boat hull somewhere between a cradle and the bow roller.

The stern does not stick out a long way, but I am in the process of moving the cradle forward to make room on the tongue for a roller. I will probably want to support the stern during the winter. The stern roller may do that. Or an independent support may work. I have a little stand that I use with a table saw to hold a long board beyond the table. The height adjusts and there is a roller on top. Sets up in seconds. Got it at Sears near the table saws. Probably at Home Depot as well.

Another thought: See if TrailX would sell a 3 or 4 foot length of that Al box beam with slots that they use for the tongue. Get that and two of the plates that are made to hold the 2 tongue halves together -- and you'd have an extension that would go under most of the TI. Another cradle or a roller could go on it. That would also mean the the end of the trailer would be closer to the water for loading and unloading.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Snakebite 1969

When I'm not out sailing, I leave my TI directly on my SUT-350-S Trailex Trailer and have done so now for a year and a half. I'm not seeing any deformation in my hull because the TI is supported on three Hobie saddles that sit directly on top of the three Trailex Crossbars. This is the main reason why I chose this trailer.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=35469

On the second page of that post I included the necessary measurements to accomplish this. Note the distances between my Crossbars are from center to center and the saddles sit directly on top of them. This can be done on a SUT-350-S trailer (including a stern roller) because a SUT-350-S is 18' 6" long. The SUT-350-AIT trailer is 4' shorter and doesn't allow for this arrangement.

In my opinion, if your going to store a TI right side up on a trailer for long periods of time, it's going to need at least three points of support; weather it's a saddle or anything else:

One under the forward mirage drive well area.
One under the rear mirage drive well area and one more towards the back to assist in launching and retrieval. The stern roller I added just makes this process that much easier to accomplish.

I believe you're seeing your hull deform because you don't have enough support in the right places. It's not the fault of the saddles. The good news is that once you do support the boat properly the hull should come back to it's original shape. Storing your TI upside down on the gunnels is fine just inconvenient. I remember reading a post about someone doing this in their garage with a lift as well, try doing a search. Good luck.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sun E Sailor

Quote:
This can be done on a SUT-350-S trailer (including a stern roller) because a SUT-350-S is 18' 6" long. The SUT-350-AIT trailer is 4' shorter and doesn't allow for this arrangement.

How right you are! Sure wish I had figured that out before I bought the trailer with the boat. Seems like either Hobie or TrailX or both should inform the customer that the Trailer recommended for the TI is wonderful for transport. But it is not good for long term storage (too short), and it will not work like a normal boat trailer for launching and haul out ( too high above the water to float the boat on and off it).

It especially seems strange to me that that information is not given when, as you figured out, there is another trailer that will solve at least one of the problems (too short), and a relatively simple modification that will partly solve the other (lower the tongue below the frame box).

Anyway, I have no complaints about the quality of either the boat or the trailer.

I do hear Snakebite's concern. I car topped a good brand of plastic kayak about 15 years ago. Did a 6 hour trip one time on a 100+ degree day. Kayak sagged down around my foam supports like butter. Front and back must have 10 degrees or so off the normal rocker. I set it upside down in the hot sun, and in a few hours with a bit of pushing, it went back to its normal shape. Great stuff.