Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MODs for Hobie TI Cart
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After looking at the pix that Sun E Sailor posted for his TI cart, I got the urge to purchase the Hobie version.

Although a great cart and a snap for getting the boat off my trailer, it still was a little back breaking for a "mature" fellow like me because it required me to both lift the stern of the boat while shoving the cart further under the boat with the supplied handle to get the cart positioned at the balance point on the boat.

Then I remembered that Sun E Sailor used a set of ropes to pull his cart under the boat;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHyTCZuW ... r_embedded

So, I took some nylon strapping I had and made a similar set of ropes for the cart;

Now it works like a snap! Very easy to slide the cart to the balance point of the boat and then out when reloading on the trailer.

Many thanks to Hobie for a great design and to Sun E Sailor for a much needed enhancement!

I also removed the black straps that come with the cart as I found no need to secure the boat to the cart [it isn't going anywhere] so they were just in the way.

I put the pool noodle on the handle because the handle rubs on the bottom of the boat when I am pulling the cart under it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

FatherWarren,

Thank you.

Clever of you to add the long straps :wink:. You'll find using them much easier for pulling your boat on and off the cart.

Since I made this video I've changed my procedure just a little. I still pull my cart back towards the stern when taking it off, but when putting it back on, I set my anchor in front of the bow so I can pull the cart underneath the boat without the boat sliding backwards. Or you can have someone hold the bow while you pull your cart back towards you. Try doing this procedure in shallow water - it makes it even easier.

Just to let you know, the Appel Cart was my design first.

2014 Tandem Island