Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello to everybody. I am new to the forums but not new to the AI experience. In 2010 we bought 4 AIs from a Hobie dealer in Seattle. I modified my home made 4x8 box trailer, extending the tongue and adding two cross bars to the top of the box. We used two vertical kayak stackers and stowed the kayaks on their sides for transport and storage. All of the amas and the rest of the gear was stowed in the box itself. When not in use, the trailer was stored in our garage. This pic was taken on our last outing: Image

Given the temperatures in the Puget Sound area we never had a problem with warping or heat. Since that last photo was taken we have relocated to Toowoomba in Queensland, Australia. The trailer was sold in the states and we found out that the trailer that we had here in Oz is too small. Given the dramatic difference in temperatures here in Oz compared to Seattle, I am hesitant to store then on their sides and built a rack to ship them on when we sent them across the pacific. This is the rack that I built to ship them on: Image. They arrived in Oz unscathed!

So my question to the group is if I built/bought a trailer that I could sit them on their tops, like in the rack above, but in two stacks of two, will they ride okay with the cross bars sitting just inside each of the aka cross members?

This trailer is something kind of like I am looking at: Image

Many thanks to everybody for helping me get back into the water.

Randy Orwin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking good Randy! I can't see why your idea of a 2 x 2 rack system wouldn't work. I guess I am ultra cautious though, but I would tend to consider adding braces out nearer the ends of the hulls, with a diagonal coming up to the lower hulls with a matching vertical supporting the hull above.

I am only basing this on my own trailer for my TI, where I have additional support by plastic rollers midway between each cradle and that end of the hull, but carrying yours inverted would make better use of the strength of the rails of the hulls, so I am probably just a worry-wort

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With that type of trailer/cross bars, you would definitely need to have some kind of support at the stern of each boat to avoid serious warping as the rear 25% or so droops down. One type of support for the whole hull, which I haven't seen yet although it seems likely someone is doing it, is to use longitudinal boards typical of those used on power boat trailers.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the input Tony and Keith. Given the way the bow is constructed it seems it would be a bit stronger than the stern and may not need additional support. As far as the stern goes I am thinking about moving the rear cross member back so that it is only about 900mm from the tip of the rudder leaving about a 2400mm span in the middle. Do you guys think that would give me enough support at the stern and at midship?

Thanks again for all the help!

Randy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Two supports on the gunnel (upside down) should be fine, especially if you can place them further apart. be sure to loosen the straps some when not transporting so they don't cause problems. If the are going to be stored in the sun, then rigging some type of cover (light colored) would help them stay "young" longer.

Last edited by KayakingBob on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Randy,

My comments about "drooping" referred to boats stored right-side up. If you are inverting them, KB's comments are correct.

Regarding storing them on their sides as in your first picture, I do that here in South Florida without problem. I've done it for years.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Keith and KB for your comments. I am working with a guy now on a design for the trailer that will include storage for the other gear and additional space for our camping stuff as well. Given the UV here in Oz, my trailer guy has suggested looking at some way to attach a heavy shade cloth to the top when it is out in full sun. Tony, do you have any thoughts on the shade cloth idea?

Randy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ShadeCloth should be fine while you are standing still, but I would have a way to roll it up or remove it while transporting them at any real speed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KB is on the money there Randy, but it should be easy enough to buy shade-cloth in 3+ metre width (I think you can even get 6 metre width in Bunnings), and it wouldn't be hard to have pockets sewn along each side into which you could insert PVC pipe to maintain its shape, and assist with rolling it up for when you hit the road.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

KayakingBob wrote:
ShadeCloth should be fine while you are standing still, but I would have a way to roll it up or remove it while transporting them at any real speed.

ShadeCloth is fine as long as you don't expect much of it, imho.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, one might expect shade, which, in a sunny climate, is much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I car-top my AI, the Thule Hullivator I use sits just inside both Xbars as it is as wide as my roofrack will allow.

... prolly traveled a couple thousand miles with it this way now without any issue. I'd recommend padding the cross bars in your photo though

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is my new custom TI trailer.
I had to do it, because those who are made in USA are not certified for use in Europe. :(
Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all of the help guys. My trailer design morphed quite dramatically from my original photos. Last week we returned from our first trip with the new trailer. Spent 6 days at Moreton Island. It worked like a charm. Easy to load and unload, even with bows fully loaded with gear. I have put together an album of the process of construction that you can find at: https://plus.google.com/photos/115969174103615661676/albums/5910063022131508001 I have added comments in the album that you can read too.

I still have some minor tweaks to finish like carpet on the tubing or even some of that low friction plastic and additional padding where the amas sit. Let me know what you think.

Randy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now THAT looks the business!!