Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Mickey. :)
Update: Just returned from and 8 day camping trip where the C-Tug got lots of use. I can report that so far it is up to the task of transporting the TI.
However using the tube clips to attach the pipe to the cradles wasn't reliable. If the cradle skewed slightly then the tube clips let go and the pipe slipped out of position. I'll try some cable ties to locate the pipe more securely to the cradle.
I wish there was more info around on those sidewinders. C-Tug has gone quiet on their release over here. :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Thanks Mickey. :)
Update: Just returned from and 8 day camping trip where the C-Tug got lots of use. I can report that so far it is up to the task of transporting the TI.
However using the tube clips to attach the pipe to the cradles wasn't reliable. If the cradle skewed slightly then the tube clips let go and the pipe slipped out of position. I'll try some cable ties to locate the pipe more securely to the cradle.
I wish there was more info around on those sidewinders. C-Tug has gone quiet on their release over here. :?

Stringy - that sounds strange because they announced their release as a new product here:
http://www.c-tug.net/news/introducing-the-sidewinder
I have the huge Hobie TI dolly cart with the huge beach wheels but I have never used it! Storage and security are just two of the issues I have not resolved yet.
Actually I haven't used the TI much to date but have decided I am going to try and get a lot more use out of it - including possibly taking out my two dogs on the tramps and towing it behind my little houseboat to a lakeside base campsite. Hopefully I can talk my cook into coming along and making the family complete :)

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

C-Tug USA just put the sidewinders for sale on their site in the past couple of days.

http://www.c-tug.net/usastore/

Also some more product information they posted last week.

http://www.c-tug.com/products/sidewinders

I'll probably be getting me a set of these. Unfortunately, I don't have the hard wheels, so it's going to be pricey for a few pieces of plastic to attach. If it works, then it may be worth it though. It may be a while, but whenever I get everything and try them out, I'll provide some feedback here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good to see the product is now available. I've emailed C-Tug NZ for more info.
I'd like to see some independant reviews of how they go in deep sand.
Interestingly it seems Railblaza may have taken over distribution and on their website there is a video on 'Railblazing the TI' where the C-Tug is seen on the tramps and under the hull moving the TI around.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Since they mention that once the sidewinders are on, they can'tbe removed, I wonder if they can still fit in the hatch of your yak for storage.
T2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tsquared wrote:
Since they mention that once the sidewinders are on, they can'tbe removed, I wonder if they can still fit in the hatch of your yak for storage.
T2

They only increase the width of the wheel by 2.5 inches, so I would say most likely, yes. I wish they increased the width a bit more, as it doesn't seem like an extra 2.5 inches will do much. Let's hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've talked to a few A.I. owners with regards to the C-Tug and the general consensus if that it's a no-no...

Problems with sand wearing away the parts of the axle, low ground-clearance, not good on soft sand. One of my requirements is must support a fully-rigged A.I. over 50-200m of soft sand...

Also, I don't think the hard plastic wheels and sidewinder add-ons would work on the dirt-roads that I also have to traverse.

Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have been looking a C-Tug cart for some time. The standard Hobie Cart that I have has its limitations. I am not always in a position to get the cart under the boat. With all the gear I carry I can not lift the boat high enough and have to install the cart in the water or prior to sliding the AI off the trailer.

I ordered a C-Tug with the original wheels a few days ago. I run on both sand and hard top. I will post my impression of this cart after I put it to good use...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mingle wrote:
Also, I don't think the hard plastic wheels and sidewinder add-ons would work on the dirt-roads that I also have to traverse.

Mike.

Just ordered a set of the new plastic wheels and Sidewinders from C-Tug in NZ. They should arrive in the next few days and I'm keen to give them a good trial and report back.
I'm still a bit sceptical myself about their sand claims but I figured they'd make a good general purpose wheel anyway. I thought it was worth the NZ$120=AU$95 (including freight). Railblaza have indeed bought out C-Tug. They won't be available in Oz for another 6 weeks I was told.
BTW -I've found the ground clearance to be good and it supports my TI OK. I've used it with my AI but I didn't like the way the flat pads can cause hull deformation. The new TI cart cradle makes it a good fit on the TI. I haven't used it long enough to report on durability but so far so good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy - I look forward to your report in due course..............
Thanks for all the additional info as well 8) :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The new wheels and Sidewinders arrived the other day. They are 6" wide. I'm still skeptical that they will work as well as the balloon wheels in soft sand. I should be able to test them soon.

I also added some cable ties to the tube clips to hold the tube more securely.

I took some pics of how I thread the C-Tug straps.
Take the loose end of the tape and thread it through the slot that also contains the fixed tape end,

then pass it through the locking cam and out,

pull tight then lock.

This way you get a mechanical advantage for a tight strap.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I will be interested to see your results on this one Stringy. I have been thinking of how to adapt the Hobie cart wheels with a clip on attachment giving it a bigger footprint after getting bogged at Fingal Bay the other week. They don't like soft wet sand !

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

@stringy - great set-up of the cradle on top of the c-tug... I'll also be interested to hear how it all works out...

Oh yeah, it looks like you need get some wet&dry and polish the underside of that yak! :-)

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Mike.
I'm hoping to get out this week. With the weather we've had here lately finding some soft dry sand has been a problem. :roll:
Re the hull: That's the price you pay for commuting in it! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice to bump into you today on your local water stringy.... :)

We had a nice sail over to Saratonga Island...what a lovely spot that is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next