Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a SUT-450 Trailex trailer for my '14 Tandem Island. I've read others have added a Stoltz ULT-4 roller assy. on the rear of their trailers. Looking at the ULT-4 on Stoltz website it looks like the shape is a little severe to match the TI hull bottom. Has anyone found this to be true? Do the outside edges of the roller assy. flex to conform more to the shape of the hull bottom?

Has anyone found a rear roller shape better suited to the TI's hull ?

thanx,
bill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bill, there are some posts referring to the ULT-4 where the actual roller that was used is a Stoltz RPSC-12.
I just installed an RPSC-12 on my trailer. I don't have my TI yet but I have rolled my Revo13 over the roller onto 1 1/2" pvc bunks mounted a little higher than the roller and it seems to work great.

- Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bill:
I just used a 9 inch paint roller slid over some PVC pipe. I used 1.5 inch angle aluminum for the brackets, really simple and it works great.
I have 1 1/4 inch PVC pipe rails mounted on 11 inch centers to hold the boat (no cradles (they were too expensive for me)). The roller only does anything when you first lift the boat up on the trailer, once the boat is halfway on the trailer the roller no longer touches.
I'm usually pretty tired when I come in so I usually lift the boat halfway onto the trailer then use a cheap boat winch to get the boat the rest of the way onto the trailer, quite a few others around here use the boat winches on their TI trailers (that's where i got the idea).
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob, do you use the bow cleat alone for the winch ? I put a winch on my trailer but have been wondering if the cleat is strong enough or if I should spread the load to the akas or some other place with some kind of harness.

Thanks

chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just hook to my bow sprit (obviously my tI is modified some, so not everything I do may not apply directly), which in turn is hooked to the bow cleat. I see no reason you can't just clip onto the bow cleat to drag the boat up the trailer (the boats are very light, and there is not a lot of force, besides if you were pulling by hand you would be pulling by the bow cleat handle anyway, using the winch just makes it less manual work for you). It's not like your lifting the entire boat, or any constant load over a long period. Most everyone I'm seeing using the winches, that's where there clipping to.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

@Buckaroo

If Bob says the bow cleat will hold, it probably will. However, if it happened not to hold by pulling the screws through the hull it would be an ugly situation.

I have three cradles which creates 50% more friction when pulling my TI onto the trailer than two cradles do, plus when I use my engine I leave it mounted while loading so I just don't trust the cleat.

See my post in this thread for my method: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=49019

As far as the Stoltz Ult 4 - I'm sure mine is Stoltz but not sure of the model, but it's been there for 3 years and I am happy with it. You can see in this pic it's spread out a little with spacers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks guys, I'll be careful with the cleat. The boat slides on the pvc bunks very easily but if I catch that new protruding scupper drain on something it could be a mess. :cry:

- Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anyone get a picture of the bottom of a 2015 yet?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I saw the drain cover on the bottom of a Revo13 today and didn't think to take a picture. My first thought was can it be removed ? It's right in the middle of the scupper hole groove and has a couple of small screws holding it.
I hope I am wrong, but I can't imagine this protruding piece of plastic not getting damaged.

- chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

KayakingBob wrote:
Anyone get a picture of the bottom of a 2015 yet?

I'll take some pics tomorrow (Monday) for you, mine is sitting upside down on the trailer in the storage shed, so can do it on the way to work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe that the bow cleat screws pass into imbedded brass "sockets" in the bow. When I broke the EOM handle "string", I wasn't game to undo the screws, so I fitted a new padeye in the deck just behind it, using washers and nuts underneath.

In orsder not tro risk any undue reliance on the screws, I fitted a "D" shackle, and pass my anchor line through this shackle, and tie it off on the crossbar. This of course removes any major loads on the padeye.

When brnging my TI onto the trailer, I find it easy enough to simply pull on the bow handle. I reckon I have used the winch to retrieve less than 1 percent of outings...