Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Trailex trailer for my TI, which does not have any suspension to speak of - I believe that makes it the 200 series.

At the last club meet up I noticed a couple of sailors had a Trailex with suspension bows/leaf springs on their trailer, which after some searching makes it a 350 series trailer?

My question is this: anyone know of a conversion kit to add springs to a non sprung Trailex trailer?

I spend a lot of time traversing bumpy urban roads, I try to straddle the manhole covers as much as possible, but it really seems I am putting a lot of shock loads on the trailer and boat. I would love to soften the ride somehow.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are correct - the Single Island trailer is a 200 series.We used to sell it for TI's too, but added the 350 to the catalog to add capacity. They use completely different center beams - so I don't think you can do a conversion - it would basically be an entirely new trailer - your best option would be to trade or sell the 200 version and purchase the 350 - contact Trailex (e mail: [email protected] ) directly to ask them if there is any way to make the conversion that you're after - but I know those two trailers are very different and think it's probably not possible

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey tjcouch,

I am interested to know what you find out from Trailex. I have a TI on their 200 series trailer and haul it between Michigan to Florida. The boat bounces around for those 1,400 miles which can't be too good for the whole rig.

I like the simplicity of the trailer, but a little suspension might go a long way.

Thanks!
Ted

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I spoke to the sales manager at Trailex a year ago about adding a leaf spring suspension to the 200 series. He said it could be done but the associated parts and pieces would end up costing roughly what the 350 trailer does.

In the meantime I put a torsion axle under my 200, but it's still too stiff (500 lb capacity).

The 350 I bought for the TI is nicely sprung - light enough to give under the weight of the TI, but rarely bottoms out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome. Sounds like the 350 might be a great option. Thanks for the reply.