Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am wondering if any of you have used or have experience with the Suspenz 2-Boat Rack? I am really close to purchasing my first Tandem Island, hey! I am just trying to find the easiest storage solution for my garage and this rack looked pretty nice. I am just a little concerned that the weight of the hull of the island is 124 pounds and the rack states a limit of 100 pounds.

Thanks,
Brandon

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those are crazy expensive. And likely will rust out. Our boats drip. Even after fresh water washing, rust is an issue.

Their BIG EZ wall rack is rated for the TI hull though.

Many of us prefer using simple adjustable plastic sawhorses, which you can buy at Lowes for the price of shipping one of those exotic Suspenz systems. :lol:

If it was in my garage, I would likely suspend it - or adapt a couple solid plastic work carts. I could then roll the whole thing around to work on the boat, or roll it in/out for transport.

Others build their own 2"x4" carts for next to nothing.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the photos and suggestion, this forum is awesome! Anybody have any photos of some home made solutions on wheels/carts?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We used to have an oasis (similar in size and weight to the TI hull only) and a revo. We wanted to store them in the garage over the winter. With a two stall garage with the door suspending from the ceiling is impossible. I ended up attaching a harbor freight winch to the ceiling next to one sidewall. It actually worked out pretty good to put two slings around hull, then hoist the hull on its side right on the wall. It was easy to just lash the two boats side to side then hoist the whole works ( both boats). Once we got the TI we hung it on the wall a couple times about 4 yrs ago but ended up not storing in the winter and ended up going out every weekend all year round.
Now we have a trailer we just store the boat all rigged on the trailer in the garage (way easier).
Hanging the boat on its side against the wall on slings seemed to be the kindest way to store the boats.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Brandon,
Food for thought - take a look at my solution. It works for me. :D
I have used it quite a bit over the summer just gone. :(
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=48233&p=218407#p218407
Regards,
Ian