Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Double deck AI trailer?
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi

Looking for some feedback here. I'm planning on building a double deck AI trailer as the time spent with car topping, assembling, and disassembling is too much hassle.

I don't have space for a side by side, hence the double deck plan.

Some ideas I'm playing with are:

Having the top deck hinged to make loading the top boat easier?
Incorporating the Hobie beach dolly onto each deck so that it can double as a cradle, and to potentially save a bit of double handling when I can't launch the boats straight off of the trailer.

Pros/cons for any of the above most welcome. Or any other ideas people have had that work.

Where possible I'm trying to take the 'dead lift' effort out of handling the boats.......

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy has is the expert in over/under trailers for AI/TIs. Here is a link: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=50268&p=228298&hilit=trailer#p228298

He will probably chime in when he sees your post.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the link Chekika.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Colinm.
Over the years I've modified a couple of trailers for carrying Hobie's stacked vertically.
Chekika's link (thanks Keith) shows a pic of the latest version for a TI +AI. Before that it looked like this:
It is based on a cheap Carlex Easytrailer 880GA tinnie trailer. I added the framework (50mm) RHS and rear extension (100mm RHS ripped diagonally). The framework is bolted to the Easytrailer and can be removed by undoing 2 U-bolts and 2 rear bolts. This framework was on an earlier trailer (viewtopic.php?f=73&t=11063) but if I was building from scratch the lower 50mm RHS would be in one length that would cantilever for the rear extension. This extension assisted in loading the top AI.
Here is a link to a dolly cart cradle but it is for a TI:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=40346

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Stringy
Very neat. One of my concerns is loading the top boat, and so thanks for the tip re cantilevering the rear section.

How do you find the hulls go, deformation wise, when they are not supported at the stern? It was something I was concerned about when I build my trailer.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No problem with hull deformation on the AI. I store the AI on the trailer. It sits on Rhino kayak pads and a V-Block at the bow. The AI stern is too short and light to cause distortion, unlike the TI which does need rear support.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

FYI. A couple of photos of my double deck AI trailer.

The pivot on the top deck is just aft of the weight centre of the kayak so you can remove the locking pins without worrying about the deck starting to tilt. It also means the weight of the boat assists you as you push it up the slope.

I've also glued cut carpet tile onto the cradles rather than the supplied rubber pads to make life easier.

The masts are stored below the top deck.

So far I'm pleased with how it has turned out.

Last edited by colinm on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice work Colin! Love the tilting top deck. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Outstanding solution Colin. I wonder if your new 2015 AIs will fit on there.

Just 2x check that locking pin before stomping on the gas!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys.
I used the trailer for the first time last weekend, and I'm well please with it. After spending two years car topping the AIs I cannot believe how easy and convenient having a trailer is. I can really see me using the boats a lot more now. Should have got a trailer a while ago.

.........now, about those 2015 AIs........!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations, Colin. Once again, you have demonstrated the helpfulness and creativity these forums can provide. Nice work.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Colin,

I like the design. I have a similar setup with a harbor freight trailer and ladder racks. I haul a TI on the trailer and a Oasis on the ladder rack. What are your steps for getting the top yak back on the trailer? I had a little challenge getting the Oasis back on the trailer at the boat ramp(i.e. read incline). Do you use a winch or pull it up by hand?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SpringAI wrote:
Colin,

I like the design. I have a similar setup with a harbor freight trailer and ladder racks. I haul a TI on the trailer and a Oasis on the ladder rack. What are your steps for getting the top yak back on the trailer? I had a little challenge getting the Oasis back on the trailer at the boat ramp(i.e. read incline). Do you use a winch or pull it up by hand?

Hi SpringAI

If I'm playing with the top boat there is always two of us so for getting the top kayak back on the trailer I leave the Amas out and locked, and with a person on each side it is easy to push it up the slope. I then fold the Amas in after the top deck is locked. One little thing I did which I think is a big help, is I put pieces of carpet tile in the cradles instead of the supplied rubber pads. This reduces the friction quite a bit.

I originally loaded the top boat myself from the beach dolly, and I rigged up a rope to pull it up, but in the end the rope got in the way, so I just left it off.