Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI Storage Stand?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone built a storage stand for the TI that supports the boat well? I have it on the floor in my garage and would like to get it up off of the ground. Thanks for all replies. Dom

Post subject: Re: TI Storage Stand?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think most store theirs either hoisted to the ceiling or still on the trailer.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the reply. My trailer is a double wide and would take up too much room in my garage. I have seen TI'S on display at Kayak stores. They are normally raised so that they can show how the mirage drive works. I am looking for any idea to support it the same way. I can't hoist because I already have bikes hoisted. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have 2 of these from Harbor Freight that I put my AI on. They even fold up when you don't want to use them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/200-lb-capacity-portable-work-stand-38778.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use the garage gator winch with 2" straps to store my TI, Akas, and sail on the ceiling. Works great! Lifts it right off and onto the trailer.

http://www.amazon.com/Garage-Gator-GGR2 ... rage+gator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PVC bunks on a raised wood frame with casters would work. You could slide the boat right off the trailer onto it then roll against the wall in the garage. You might get some storage bins on the cart below the boat
depending on how tall it is. If you are limited to fabricating this with wood you could do it with off the shelf metal connectors like Simpson Strong Ties.
- Chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Lumos wrote:
I use the garage gator winch with 2" straps to store my TI, Akas, and sail on the ceiling. Works great! Lifts it right off and onto the trailer.

Is anyone else storing their TI using this method?
I was wondering when using the 2" straps, would you have to store it upside down or right up, so you could take it right off the trailer?
Another thought I had was to use the actual trailer cradles and buy another set. Some how connect the hoist to the cradles.
I know this is not the cheapest, but I am thinking ease of use raising and lower off the trailer. What I read about the straps, you would have to flip the TI upside down.

As far as the ama's, can you store them standing up on edge leaning against the wall?

thanks
Ron

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rather than cradles why not use straps ? They are inexpensive and you could place several along the length of the 9 Ft. hanging bar. I think the general consensus is that two cradles do not provide enough support for storage.
I would be inclined to see if the weight capacity (220 Lbs. ) of the bar could be increased so that the amas and sail could be strapped to the hull and not have to store them separately.
I think there are other examples here of people using hoist/pulley systems.
Another alternative is to put the trailer on wheel dollies. I do this and push my trailer right against the wall and still manage to park a car and skid loader in my two car garage with lot's of space around them.
good luck
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have a single harbor freight trailer using pvc bunks. What I do is place the AMA's on top of the hull so I can push the trailer up against the wall. Can still get one car, two scooters ans several bike in the garage. Everything is stored on the boat so it's only a minute or to to hook up to the car and go.
Works really well for us.
FE

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

riverron wrote:
Lumos wrote:

Is anyone else storing their TI using this method?

Newbies here, TI will be with us by the end of May, car hitch etc permitting.
We are intending to use this solution with the Garage Gator. Makes the most sense in our garage. Looks like storing upside down will prevent hull deformation (Texas heat 90-95F inside the garage during summer).

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just sayin that's a heck of a lot of work flipping the boat over. If you want to store on the floor just buy two ten ft pieces of 1 1/2 schedule 40 pvc and place the entire boat on the loose pvc on the ground with the boat right side up. When not using the pvc just stuff it in the corner of the garage, no need to attach anything to anything, the pvc will cost you about $12 bucks. I typically remove my ama's and pile them on top of the hull when storing in the garage to make more room in thr garage. The pvc sits nicely in the grooves on the bottom of the boat on 11" centers. If you need to move the boat around just drag it around the garage on the pvc (your not going to hurt the pvc, even if the pvc gets scratched up over time nobody cares. We store our TI in our garage in Florida on pvc bunks on our trailer (more or less the same storage method (pvc bunks).

Even if you end up hoisting the boat up to the ceiling you just put the slings under the pvc tubes, then lift the whole works up. I think the pvc would help even the load distribution on the hull even while suspended. We do something similar when we truck top our TI on contractor bars over the bed of our sierra denali truck with a short bed. The contractor bars end up too close together so to even out the load distribution I slip loose 1 1/4 pvc pipe under the boat once I have the boat up on the racks. The pvc tubing with just common wood broom handles jammed into the pvc evenly distributes the load on the narrow racks.
We used to do similar with our old yukon denali's, we would store the TI on the roof for sometimes weeks at a time in the hot key west sun, without the pvc pipes the cross bars on the roof rack would dig into the hull (deforming the hull) over time (a couple days). I never tied or attached the pvc tubes to anything, just slid them loose under the boat once it was up on the roof. When not using the pvc I just sit it in the corner of the garage, simple and cheap.
Just a suggestion
FE

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with fusioneng that it is somewhat of a pain to store it up and drop it onto the trailer. I was able to manage it ok, but I am not sure I would want to do it often. I mainly purchased the Garage Gator to store it for the winter. I wanted to clear my garage completely to make room. I have already dropped it on the trailer and moved all to the outside for this summers use. I purchased a hobie cover and that seems to be doing a good job.
As you can see in the picture, I am using straps and flipping the boat once it is raised. I was concerned with the weight, so I am only lifting the TI, dolly and sails. The steel bar would definitely be enough to raise more weight, but I think the weight limit is also on the motor and its ability to raise. I was storing the aka bars in the bag, seats and pedals were stored elsewhere. The amas I plan to have a separate hoist side by side, but they don't weigh very much, so I might just strap them on the bar on the side.

If you do use it, make sure you can drop the T1 with the door closed and up, so you can get the trailer underneath. My trailer is about 3 ft longer, so I have to have the garage door up. So I lower the T1 enough so the garage door can go up. Watch that forward cable so it has enough room. I then move the trailer into the garage and lower/flip it back on the trailer.

Make sure you use enough bolts and the garage gator is secure. My joists were going the opposite way, so I bolted other boards to them and then the garage gator to the new boards.

I know everyone's situation is different. This will work for me and hopefully will work for you.

Thanks
Ron