Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

RandomJoe wrote:
Grandpa wrote:
Went by to look at the trailer at Academy and it measured 3'6" between the fenders. What are the measurements of the TI with the outriggers folded? Do you guys think that is a wide enough trailer?

My Trailex trailer is 3'3" between the fenders. If you can arrange things so the TI is above the wheels and fenders (as it does on a Trailex) then it'd be fine. My TI is about 4 feet across at the widest point, amas and all, when on the trailer.

Do you use the cradles or pvc?

2015 Tandem Island-ivory dune

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm currently using three TI cradles. I set my trailer up using info Sun-E-Sailor posted a while back.

However I've thought about switching to PVC, even backing the trailer into the water it isn't all that smooth loading the TI back on - I get the middle cradle right at the water level, so it is easy enough to hit, but then the bow hits the back of the next cradle and I have to lift it to get it on top. If it's windy - and I always seem to have a crosswind when retrieving - it's a royal pain keeping the hull lined up to pull on the trailer. I hit the first cradle, and the boat turns sideways. I think / hope using PVC would help keep things straighter.

Haven't looked yet at how that will go on the Trailex setup, but I do have three crossbars so could space them out to give good support at the rear, middle and front of the PVC bunks. I think the TI would still be about the same height on the trailer, the PVC would rest on the crossarms and be about the same thickness as the cradles.

My question, though, is what about the amas? With the cradles they have something to rest on as well. Do those using PVC for the hull do something to support the amas, or take them off completely once loaded? (Again, I haven't even looked into this at all yet, it's just a thought that returns every time I pull the TI out of the water! :lol: )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wonder if a self centering roller at the rear of the trailer would solve your problem and save having to change to pvc ?
Fusioneng told me that he disconnects his amas and straps them on top of the hull for transport when trailering. I left enough space below the upper deck on my trailer so I could do this if I want to. I have 3" grid below my pvc bunks and will probably be adding something to support the amas if it's needed. The grid makes it easy to add something like that.
I'm thinking 3/4" horse stall mat pads of a suitable shape.
It seems that a lot of people add some padding between the amas and hull to prevent chafing.
I'm convinced that pvc bunks are the best method to support the hull, especially after seeing pictures of how poorly the cradles fit the hull. My TI should be here soon and I will try to post a video of loading the boat on my trailer that has both a self centering roller and pvc bunks.
- Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a roller at the end of my trailer, but it's well under water when I'm backed down the ramp. It's not very wide, a really wide one might make dragging the boat up onto the trailer easier. As it is I use it more to make it easier to load/unload when I'm not at a boat ramp.

The nice thing with the cradles is I can leave the amas where they are. Just disconnect the bungees, slide a pad between the amas and hull (I used some of the super-tough plastic bubble wrap Hobie shipped the boat in), strap down and go. Having to stack and secure the amas separately would simply add even more time to the process. Might have to see if I can combine the cradles with the PVC somehow.

Getting ready to head out for another afternoon at the lake. Light winds for a change - 8 MPH, ought to be a nice afternoon! Maybe I'll watch my first sunset from the TI! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Going to look at a trailer in the morning. Its a 15' boat trailer w/3500 lb. axles and 14" wheels for $150. That leaves money on the table to mod the trailer. My question is, can I just remove some springs from the axle to allow the suspension to work better with the small amount of weight that will be on it? Not sure what all I'll have to do to it, possibly narrow it. Who knows? At least I know it'll be plenty wide.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is the trailer I bought for $150. Going to narrow 2 ft. from 6' 3.5" to 4' 3.5" between the fenders, sand and paint, install new tires and wheels and a new spare and remove some springs from the suspension. The tongue is actually adjustable and will extend to make the trailer over 19' long. I estimate to have around $500 invested, including a spare tire.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Never seen one that had a swinging back beam like that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got it stripped down. Narrowed it 22", Welded a tube straight across at the back. It'll be another week or 2 before its done. Will post a new thread when I get done.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Went to check out my TI yesterday and upon opening the box, the dealer found hobie had sent a AI instead of a TI that he ordered. He said he can have it in 2 weeks without paying shipping. He's supposed to call me on Monday to confirm. I guess we will see if he can. I was told by other dealers that they are back ordered until summer. Nobody would even order one without paying for it in full and me getting no delivery date.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That sucks! I'll be pissed if that happens to me next weekend. I pre-ordered mine back in August and have been "patiently" waiting. Compensation would be in order.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's not that big of a deal, as long as I can get it in 2-3 weeks. Still a little cold and have to get my trailer done and my shop rearranged, which coincidentally, I can't do until I get done with the trailer.

Will find out tomorrow when he calls me. He can't call hobie until 11am my time. Supposed to call me at lunch.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah I'm still trying to rearrange my garage too and it might still be a little cold yet here in Nebraska, but I figured I've waited long enough. ;)
I hope it works out for you.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, got another one ordered from another dealer for April delivery. It's costing a couple hundred more but at least they said they confirmed with hobie that it can make it on the April truck. I just have to give them $1000 on a card today and go down there and pay for it in full this week.
It amazes me how one dealer can't get one ordered for April delivery and another dealer in the same area. But, then again, this dealer already has 60 boats coming on this truck. That might be an entire truckload. Who knows how many can fit on a truck.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

60 in one trailer seems a lot. A TI is 18' plus packing material and you've already eaten up half of a 40' trailer. Then again they pack these trucks for a living. Hope this one works out for you!

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

They have 8 stores, so 60 boats makes it easier getting yours included on the truck, ours being bought and sold with some of the other boats just stocking the other stores. Also another truck is coming in June gives them ways to make it happen. Anyway I can't get more excited then I already am, marking days off the calendar.
I ordered extra parts yesterday ...extra rudder pins, red rudder cover, extra aka pins or bolts, tramps, plugin cart cradle(making my own beach cart with PVC and tires from Harbor Freight), and rudder leaver knobs.

Sam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next