Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bicycles, TI, & Trailer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a TI and a Trailex trailer. This summer, I would like to bring along two road bikes (20 lbs each) on vacation. I have an older Yakima roof rack that doesn't work with my current car. My thought is to modify the rack to temporarily mount to the main hull ama crossbars. I have seen several TI's trailed with the amas mounted on top of the hull and this will be be similar in weight.

Anybody see any issues with this? If someone else has done something like this, I'd love to see their solution.

Thanks,

Gary

2014 Hobie TI
1984 Hobie Hawk glider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been wrestling with the same problem. One solution I was considering was a pass-through hitch:

http://www.shipstoday.net/4-bike-hitch-rack-pass-through-hitch-receiver/

I'll be interested to hear if there's a trailer mod out there for the Trailex SUT-350-AIT.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have towed my TI, Bike and 2 Thule cargo boxes with small trailer at speeds up to 80mph to Fla. and Co. from Ar. several times. no problems towed with a chrysler mini-van as well as truck camper. if you would like pictures send e-mail address. Can't figure out how to post photos on site.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, I have a 1.25" hitch receiver and have my trailer winch located way-forward right over the hitch ball so I can't go with a through extension.

My options are pretty much limited to mounting the bikes on the trailer/main hull or leaving them at home.

Gary

2014 Hobie TI
1984 Hobie Hawk glider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Harbor freight has a Dual Hitch Extender that fits into a 2 inch receiver hitch and allows you to mount a 2 inch receiver bike rack into the top space and a ball hitch into the lower space. You just have to make sure that your bike rack allows the bikes to be high enough to let the trailer tongue swivel freely under it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-hitch-extender-69881.html

Here's one that allows the ball to be attached to it instead of using another extention in the lower space.
http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-ball-mount-66966.html

Quote:
Carry a bike rack and tow at the same time with this ball mount

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To carry two bikes I added two colorbond fence posts that act as a bike rack. The bikes are fixed at 4 points (front wheel, rear wheel x2 and diagonal strap at each head tube) plus a bar that clips onto the handlebar stems.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where your cargo box is is the location that I would like to mount about 4 bike racks. Only mine would be lower since I'm not carrying a second boat. I just need to work out the dimensions and material once I get my trailer and TI in April.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just returned from vacation where I trailed my TI on a Trailex trailer along with two bicycles and two aluminum hakas. The bike racks were outrigger rails that mounted to the Trailex crossbars. I cannibalized an old Yakima roof rack for wheel mounts, but similar hardware is readily available for pickup bed mounting. I traveled at 70 mph and unless I looked in my mirror, I hardly knew the trailer was behind my car.

The hakas rested on a PVC bar in the rod holder holes. By the way, the haka design proved to be a real winner -- super fast to mount and rock solid. I still don't know if they will float as each one has only a pool noodle for buoyancy.

Gary

2014 Tandem Island
1984 Hobie Hawk RC Glider