Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all. I have new covers for both of my 2015 TIs and am having a bear of a time getting them fitted properly. Out of the box the new covers seem too narrow for the boats sitting on the double double trailer. I see in the catalog a picture that the cover should fit so I guess I need to have faith that when I force a stretch to the side it will work.

The bigger issue for me is getting the ridder off and in the right position. Taking the rudder pin out is easy enough. But when I try to figure out how to turn it with the steering and up/down rudder cables attached I get a little cautious. Is this a case where I need to force the cables to twist so the rudder can lie flat on the stern and the cover can go on? There is a lot of tension when I try to twist the cables and I don't want to break them.

Has anyone actually been able to use the hobbie cover on the 2015 TI? Any tips, videos, etc... to make a new owners life easier? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:55 am 
Site Admin

The 2015 is virtually the same as the older versions except for the bow shapes. Should fit the same.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I purchased a cover with my TI and haven't had a chance to take it out of the package. I didn't realize you have to take the rudder off. The rudder is removed for shipment and I noticed that the tension of the lines in this position put a deep groove in the flanges at the ends of the plastic sleeves that cover the spectra, making the hole at the end larger.
In other words, the lines just pulled into the material and cut a a groove in it at 12:00 where they came out of the hole and wrapped around towards the bow.
I'm thinking I may just take the cover back rather than remove the rudder and as others have said it probably isn't needed if you store indoors.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris, you can always cut a slot in the cover so the rudder sticks up through it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony I think I will add a slot as you said. My wife is an expert seamstress and I'm not too shabby at it either.
I would like to keep the hull out of the sun and preserve the color when I'm not sailing. At least until the "new" wears off. :lol:
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cutting the cover is an option to keep in mind. I have 2 TIs that I haul on a double double trailer and when the rudders are up you would think I was hauling an old 50s car with the huge rear fender fins. Hauling on a nice day with rudders straight can be entertaining. Try to haul with the rudder out of alignment and life gets real interesting fast. So part of me is OK with the idea of the rudder off and down flat on the back. Guess I need to get used to the idea of muscling the rudder flat and trust the bungee cords inside keeping the line taunt stand up to the stress over time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think it depends on whether you will use the cover for both storage and transport. I currently only use the cover for storage, so simply keep the rudder down. I elevate the mast slightly and place my dolly under the cover so it does not collect rain. If I decide to try keeping it on for trips down the highway, then I would likely cut a slit as suggested.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rnaszcyn wrote:
Hauling on a nice day with rudders straight can be entertaining. Try to haul with the rudder out of alignment and life gets real interesting fast.

I didn't even think about how an up rudder would affect towing, but it makes sense. I wonder if it makes a difference on the size of the tow vehicle.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas