Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a 2015 demo TI last weekend and am now shopping for a trailer. Two key requirements for me are that it be 60" wide or less and could be customized to load bike racks and a car top carrier. I'm thinking this North Woods Sport trailer would fit the bill. Has anyone used it?

http://www.northwoodssporttrailers.com/hobie-trailers---catkayak.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

FE please post the link to your motor sailing setup. I'm intrigued. Don't see how sails can benefit in zero natural wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Island Hoppa:
It's called apparent wind generated by your forward motion created by pedaling (two people pedaling like crazy), or the more sane approach. me alone pedaling at a normal human pace and using either hybrid gas or electric supplemental propulsion to provide the needed 5-6mph necessary forward speed nessessary across the wing to make it operate, (minimum 5-6 mph of air must pass over the wing for it to operate, below that the wing is just a weathervane and provides no propulsion (or loss)).
A flag or calibrated wind sock mounted at the top of the mast helps tremendously reading the apparent wind direction, you then adjust your heading to take best advantage of the apparent wind you have generated. Since you are making your own wind the actual natural wind speed and direction doesn't really matter much, it all works anywhere from zero to around 10 mph natural winds, I never go out in any wind over 10 mph, if I were to go out in higher winds (>10mph) I would tilt my motors up and resort to 'now obsolete (lol)' old fashion sailing (same as has been done by sailers for the last 3000 yrs and hasn't changed much), (disclaimer: unless I'm in a crazy mood and I want to go out and hot dog really fast in open ocean (15+mph winds and 2-3ft chop), then it's all sails up and both engines at WOT) but I don't do that often, it's just too hard on the boat (and me) anymore.
Everything is published on the ultimate island thread including all the designs and theories.

Once the wing jib is operating, it forces the main sail to operate by aligning and directing organized/accelerated air over the main. basically making it work in conditions where it would normally just luff.

Bottom line, what I have is not really a sailboat, it a human/hybrid/sail (tri-powered) craft.

Here is a video of me traveling around 7.5 to 8mph upwind (the actual wind was around 4-5 mph 20 degrees off my bow, (any sailer can see the actual wind speed and general wind direction by just looking at the water around me in the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGVV6yUBNl4

Hope this helps
FE

Oh by the way: Here is me on the same day running with the motors off taken two minutes before the above video (look at the sails, all are luffed). This is what I have to deal with 80-90% of the time whenever I go out ten months out of the year around here, plus it's typically over 85 deg and sunny, with no breeze on you it's like sitting in a frying pan and you are the yoke (lol). Plus to travel my weekly 15 miles (my exercise program is pedaling my TI), at 3mph on low wind days (most days) I would be out there all day in the extreme heat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGL9eLWS0iQ

All the videos here we taken the same day, wind was mostly from the east at around 5-6 mph, my actual track and direction is on the dashboard in the lower right hand corner. I was on my way up to long boat key to visit a friend who lives way up on long boat key in the canals (those canals go on for miles).
Here is a video of me on the way up there (same day) as you can see this was almost a reach (the absolute worst point of sail on my boat), you can tell that by how far my sails are cantered out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-npwA3izDiw

You have to realize it is stinking hot here in Florida, it was around 92 deg and sunny that day, and almost no wind (pretty typical ten months out of the year).
Here is a video of me pedaling thru the canals on long boat key (really boring), near the end of the video I go past the largest deep water harbor in all the south east, where they can accommodate up to 200 some boats up to 150 ft long, I had no idea it was even there until I drove past it (lol), our friends live only a few hundred feet away from the port (who knew lol). As you can see in the video my main is furled, and the wing is just weather vaning as I pedal. Like I said all the videos we all taken on the same day and the winds were pretty constant all day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jFCfBMZKKU

Thats all...