Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This might be a very basic question, but I'm having trouble figuring out what I should be doing here.

I have a TI, which I love. I use it on a lake and it lives most of the year about 8' from the water. Currently, I've been disassembling the ama's and storing the TI upside down on my kayak rack.
a) I'm wondering if I should be storing it upside down
b) reassembling the thing takes time, and I'm not sure why I need to do this
c) I just broke another rudder pin flipping the boat over having not taken off the rudder first

Assuming I wanted to store it right side up with ama attached, how should I do this? Leave it on the ground? Buy the trailer cradles and mount them to my kayak rack to get the boat slightly off the ground? Should I buy the 72054 kayak cover and cover it up?

Note: In the winter it comes indoors.

Thank you,
-Matt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could make some pvc bunks for the kayak rack and store it right side up. About $100 for parts vs $300+ for the cradles. Just fold the amas in and slide the boat on. I would cover it to protect it from the sun and undo all of the bungees to save their elasticity.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What Tom said !
And you can buy an inexpensive reflective tarp from Harbor Freight to cover it. It will last a year or two.
It's relatively easy to make a 2x4 frame to elevate the 1 1/2" PVC bunks off the ground. If you make it high enough to get a scupper cart installed that makes loading/unloading easier.
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea thats what I would do, you mentioned you already have a kayak rack that yo store the boat upside down on. If it was me I would just go to home depot and pick up two ten ft white pvc pipes (I think their about $6 or $7 bucks each. Then screw them down to your rack on 11 inch centers. Resting the boat on PVC racks is the best way to store the boat (many of us store our boats on PVC racks long term). I have PVC racks on my trailer and store the boat on my trailer in the garage all rigged and ready to go, it takes all of one minute to pull out of the garage and hook onto the hitch, then I'm off to the beach.
I usually roll the boat around with the AMA's off and carry them separately because the entire boat (with AMA's) is too dang heavy for me anyway. I just leave the AKA bars on and folded in, then slip the AMA's back on either at the shore or in the water.
FE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ImageImageImage

Two 4x4's and a sheet of poly lattice works great to support TI fully rigged on trailer or rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Im not sure of the part number but I bought the Hobie cover that fits on the TI and thought it was well made. Sometimes in the summer my TI will sit in a side yard with limited sun on the trailer and the cover does a fair job covering just about everything. This last summer I car topped the TI about 3000 miles with that same cover on the boat - held up well. I think that cover would also be a good thing to protect for UV and you can leave the boat right side up, possibly even with the amas attached/folded in.