Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is my trailer:

The bars are like, 1" or 1.5" square bar. I am looking for a way to store the hull by itself on there permanently so that I don't have to load and unload at home. What's the best way to do it without deforming the hull? I can make something custom, I really don't want to pay $260 and cut off the ama wings from the cradle on ACK.

I thought about picking up some strap that I can attach to the top rack, to lift it off the bar just enough that it's not sitting on the bar. Something like 2" strap. Then when I get home I can just take the strap off and strap it down before driving. I don't know if that would work but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have a cradle set that could be mounted to your trailer. This would allow you to store your AI on the trailer without deforming the hull. Part # 72020406 for a 2015 AI. Part # 72020400 for 2011-2014 AI. (No fasteners included)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Find some broomhandles
Buy pvc pipe which just fits nicely over the broomhandles
Place the assemblies between the crossbars of your trailer
Space the pvc rods to fit in the grooves of the hull (I think it is about 11.5 inches apart)
drill through rods and crossbars
Open up the top of the pvc where the holes are to countersink the head of the bolts to avoid scratching the hull
Bolt the rods to the crossbars
Slide the hull along the rods util in the same position as your photo

You're done!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have it from good sources, that you can store it flat on the floor (move your trailer outside if necessary.) I might just put a little support at the ends to relieve some of the weight from the bottom. i'm storing my AI 2 that way in Miami, FL for the next 4-5 months.

My Tandem is stored outside on a trailer with cradles and a bow brace. Maybe a bit more on that later.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

1.5" pvc run lengthwise at 13 on center works great, and you save about 250 bucks.
My three crossbars are 44 inches apart, and so I didn't need broomstick inside. Also used the thicker black pipe.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

coachstevo wrote:
1.5" pvc run lengthwise at 13 on center works great, and you save about 250 bucks.
My three crossbars are 44 inches apart, and so I didn't need broomstick inside. Also used the thicker black pipe.

+1 only I used 2" schedule 40.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm looking for a way to do it on the trailer. I know I can lay it on the floor, but I take it out 3-5 times a week so I want it to have a permanent spot on the trailer.

I can't use the hobie cradle because the bar is only 29" wide and I believe it needs 40". And I'm never going to transport it with ama's attached because it's too high off the ground (44") for me to remove it safely by myself.

Any pics of what you mean from the guys who run 1.5-2" pipe? I'm not sure I am clear on your description so I would appreciate it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used Yakima parts to clamp the pvc to the bar down. Put yakima bar clamp thingy on bar, Drill hole in pvc, insert carriage bolt, slip bolt thru Yakima bar clamp thingy, then use giant Yakima wingnut to tighten down.

Let me see if I can get some pics for ya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a picture of my setup. I'm using 2" schedule 40 PVC.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are lots of ways to use PVC to hold TI's, either on trailers, on racks and even just on the floor of your garage.
I've been doing it for quite a long time now and it seems to be the best way to store a TI. Before getting our trailer we just stored our TI on the garage floor shoved in a corner, of course it's always in the way of something so you have to drag it around on the floor. I always remove the AMA's and just pile them on top of the hull so the boat takes up way less room. Without the AMA's it's also way easier to tip the boat up on it's side to shove the scupper cart in. I always walk the AMA's separately. By doing it that way, the TI is no more difficult to pull around on the scupper cart than our old Oasis was (we are pretty used to tandem kayaks anyway, which have always been our personal preference, so we are used to them being a little bigger and a little heavier (but still way easier and lighter than two complete Single Hobie sailing kayaks, and way less time to setup).

If you go to Home Depot that white PVC is really cheap. For just storing on the floor instead of making a big rack that you have to lift the boat up onto, what we did was just laid a couple ten ft pieces of 1 1/2" PVC on the floor, and place the boat on them. The pipes fit nicely into the grooves on 11 inch centers running the length of the boat. I just put the boat down and kick the pipes under the boat, once in place you can drag the boat around all you like around the garage on the pipes (who cares if the pipes get all scratched up on the floor (I think both 10 ft pipes cost under $10 bucks). Why lift the boat up to waist high, if your like me not much chance your ever gonna work on it (pretty much no need, nothin ever goes wrong).
When we car top I just stuff the pipes between the roof rack and the boat so it evens out the load. Your straps hold everything down anyway. Actually on our last trip I found some closet rods at home Depot that are 8 ft long, and they are already PVC coated, I just used them on a big vacation, they worked great (really strong):

Here is a pic of our POS cheap Harbor Freight trailer (got it at Harbor Freight on sale for $140 bucks ( lol)), with the PVC pipes on it. I stored the boat on there just like you see for the first yr or so with no ill effects. However I did put longer and a little larger diameter pipes on there with wooden broom handles shoved in the pipes a couple years ago. The boat lives in our super hot South Florida garage, with no issues.

Just sain, I'm not about to spend $500 bucks for cradles to fit on my $140 dollar trailer.

FE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless you need that rack to transport another kayak why leave it on the trailer ? It could easily be removed and make your loading\unloading a lot easier as well as giving you the ability to leave the amas attached. Ideally you want the boat and trailer as low as possible to minimize the amount of lifting you have to do. +++ on pvc bunks, do a little searching here, there are many examples of trailers using this inexpensive and superior method.
good luck

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I transport my own kayak a few times a week but a couple times a month I need to transport up to 4 kayaks + gear. I am putting walls up on the bottom to store fishing gear and camping gear. So that modification would make it so that I can only transport one kayak. Not an improvement for me.