Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: eBay plug in trolley
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with this stainless plug in trolley?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201476117753?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I am about to pull the trigger on a TI purchase and am leaning towards this trolley as an alternative to the Hobie Trax 2-30. Delivered it is slightly dearer than the Hobie version but I like the way this one folds. If the advertising is to be believed it seems to be quite strongly constructed.

Cheers

Brad

"Kayaking Bob" Spray Skirts
Trampolines

Post subject: Re: eBay plug in trolley
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

BradK wrote:
Hi

Does anyone have any experience with this stainless plug in trolley?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201476117753?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I am about to pull the trigger on a TI purchase and am leaning towards this trolley as an alternative to the Hobie Trax 2-30. Delivered it is slightly dearer than the Hobie version but I like the way this one folds. If the advertising is to be believed it seems to be quite strongly constructed.

Cheers

Brad

I pull my TI through the sand a lot.. I would rather have this folding one than the Hobie version that I have. It looks much more sturdy. The Hobie version with the cradle attached tends to push down the plastic cradle stoppers with heavy weight.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a Youtube video of that cart :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U17gvh5xXrg

It appears to be a very high quality cart, even the clevis pin holes are sleeved inside for easier insertion. The welding looks top notch unlike a certain other cart I happen to own.
I would be worried about dropping pieces in the water and it's so much easier to drop the cart into the rear deck scupper holes for storage rather than disassemble it unless you need the space for something else. By the time I got it in the front hatch there wouldn't be much room for other stuff.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brad,
Whilst I have no direct experience with that cart I'm sure it is top quality. From memory it was made by a David Laird who had a stainless welding/balustrading business. I think it was called Tastech? There was some discussion about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=31680
I remember googling it at the time and being impressed.
The link provided by Buckaroo is worth watching as is the other video uploaded by David Laird on how best to fit the cart.
The main problem with scupper carts is getting the TI off the cart and then back on. David's side tilt method works well, but it didn't suit most of our launch sites.
I actually prefer a dolly cart with the TI as fitting/removing the cart is easier. Now that C-Tug have a sand wheel that actually works it is my 'go to' cart these days. viewtopic.php?f=73&t=46391
I note in Hobie's latest catalogue that they have added the C-Tug to their cart range.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks hjdca, Buckeroo and Stringy

After reading through the C-Tug tread I'm now leaning towards the C-Tug as I think a dolly cart will be easier to use than a scupper cart.

I checked the C-Tug website and they rate the cart to 120kg which I think should cover a rigged TI.

If I go this way should I get the hard wheels as well as the sand wheels? I wasn't sure how the soft wheels would go on tar or concrete.

Should I also get the Hobie "cart cradle" to minimize hull deformation?

Cheers

Brad

"Kayaking Bob" Spray Skirts
Trampolines