Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PLEASE SEE PHOTOS AT BOTTOM OF POST.

Hey everyone I had some questions regarding strapping Hobie TI to a Trailex Trailer bought for TI. As you can see in the photos I have the Hobie Bunks which I both store and transport TI on. What is the proper way to strap down.
Current strapping method: As of now I run strap over main hull go through the “Trailex attachments” then go up around AMA’s then over AKA arms and mast and cinch down. I then run one strap through the front pad eye to keep nose down on roller which it sits.

Questions:
1. Is this too much pressure on AMA’s I’m concerned they are not strapped down and didn’t want to put extra bungees etc if i hit a bump they could come off bunks.

2. Is it bad to strap down mast onto the hobie, it is taking most of down force of strapping?

3. Should i run straps over folded AKA’s or under them?

4. Do you all remove for your Hobie Vantage seats for transport? As of now I put the mast off the right of the seats and in between the rudder control. I then strap down mast with two straps, use bendable twist ties to secure to crossbars and ruin through front hatch and rear bungees.

https://i.imgur.com/7JB9MIN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yqTmLr9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Btz2UdI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Vi0PfhM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/92SEKQ4.jpg

2018 Hobie Pro Angler -SOLD
2019 Hobie Revolution -SOLD
2017 Hobie Oasis -SOLD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Few recommendations:
- Run the straps around the hull, not the AKAs or sail.
- Hobie cradles are OK, but I have found they crack over time.... I have moved to solid vinyl coated closet rods (wood). Work great.
- I normally remove the seats and outboard and stow in car (not on trailer) for short runs (<500 miles). Long runs (>500 miles), I do keep the seats and outboard on the trailer (but not mounted to the TI). I use a small utility trailer that has a floor and space to store the extra stuff!

See photos below for a few ideas.
- For long runs (>500 miles), I typically take 2 kayaks with a Hobie Kona on top of the TI (sitting on the Hobie H Bars with foam between), seats, outboard, sand wheels all on the trailer.
- See photo of the empty trailer to see the vinyl coated closet rods used to guide and support the TI. Note I have removed the ventri drains from both seats on the TI (not needed in my opinion) for smooth ramp launches and recoveries. Strong and works great.
- I do use a bow stop and a stern centering roller to help control the bow and stern of the TI.
- This is a low profile trailer (low to the ground) to aid in launching and recovering the TI.
- The trailer is lightweight and is set up to reduce wind drag while on the highway.
- I try to keep the pressure on the mast / sail to a minimum (simple bungies not too tight).
- On overnight long runs (>1000 miles) I also add security cables and alarms to protect key items (outboard, seats, drives, spare tire....) and trailer.
- The trailer has a folding tongue extension to accommodate the length of the TI and to fit everything into my garage.
- Trailer is aluminum with redwood deck which helps reduce salt water corrosion.

ImageHobie Tandem Island Trailer by Jim Powers, on Flickr
ImagePowers Family 2022-Q3 by Jim Powers, on Flickr
ImagePowers Family 2022-Q3 by Jim Powers, on Flickr

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the help and advice. That seems to be a fairly thought out system you have. Thanks for sharing. Curious if you ever have an issue I have which is the fact that I do not have a winch on the front of the trailer and sometimes have a hard time getting the boat to stay onto the trailer when I pull it up out of the water on the ramp. I tied a rope to the front bar of TI and looped around the hitch of the trailer a couple times and had my wife hold the rope while I pulled the boat up the ramp. Do you have a better suggestion? I do not want to install a winch because I don’t have the room once I pull the boat forward and stick it into my garage.

2017 Hobie Oasis -SOLD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My trailer is dedicated to the hobie and has a few unique features. First off, on loading I never put my trailer in very deep, the wheel hubs always stay above water. It involves a little more lifting but keeping the lights and wheel bearings dry makes for less maintenance.
The trailer uses PVC pipe also, the back end of the pipe is heated and crushed to make a ramp so the boat doesn't get scratched up. One side has cutouts for the scupper ports which is helpful also as the boat almost "clicks" into position. The amas are located on the hobie cradles, just the outer part is cut off and mounted to the trailer. I located them so the amas do not touch the main hull. There is about 6 inches between. In that space on the trailer are big threaded eye bolts. The eye bolt holds harbor freight ratchet straps to tie the boat and amas down. The mast/sail holder is made from a PVC pipe saddle(look it up on home depot's site) stuck into a piece of pvc pipe that fits neatly into the mast mount on the boat. It sits tall enough that the sail only touches it and the storage area on the back of the boat. The cross bungees hold it down. The mast support also does a good job of keeping all the plastic balls in the race, which has been an issue for some.
This rig has worked well for many years, trips from PA to FL without issue.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you.

2017 Hobie Oasis -SOLD