Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you! Hopefully it holds for many years to come.

Great idea with the centerpunch. Having the knowledge that it would be an issue ahead of time would have made all the difference. I was clueless, especially since the boat is new to me. This is partly why I made the long post above -- since this is a common spot for breaks in the hull, it might help someone else who has a similar job to do.

I didn't drill the holes on the edges -- that's probably the only thing I didn't follow 'by the book' as explained by various Youtubers. I think I was partly freaked out about drilling into my new boat, even though it was for it's benefit. Also, I figured that once I melted all the plastic together and added a mesh into the mix as well, that it wouldn't make a difference at that point... hopefully I'm on point there. I was running with the assumption that the holes mostly were to keep the crack from spreading further before being able to weld it, and while working on it. Now that I reworked it over and over, and there is a mesh in there, it feels stronger than it was originally, so fingers crossed that the crack won't spread further. Eh, if it does, I'm well prepared to fix it again at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You should be fine now. And you know what to do if the crack recurs.

When a crack forms, the area beyond the crack fractures and weakens. Though not visibly damaged, this weakened section eventually becomes part of a longer crack. Drilling a hole at the visible end separates the cracked part from the possibly weakened part and removes some of the stress load upon it.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

plfinch wrote:
You should be fine now. And you know what to do if the crack recurs.

Exactly -- now I can sail with the confidence of knowing I can fix most things.

I do still have a very tiny amount of water in the hull after being on the water for 2 or 3 hours... maybe a cup or two. From what I'm reading on other threads, that's pretty normal, and likely just working it's way in through the hatch seals (particularly the front hatch). I'm ok with it, except that it makes it harder to throw clothes down there that you want to keep dry.

I love everything about the boat with just one apparent downside: sometimes I just don't want to get wet while I'm sailing (like in Fall in Canada). I'd like to take this thing out all the way into November, on cold days, and maybe start as early as April. I guess full body rain gear might solve this. With my dog on the tramps, he's shivering by the end of a sail because he's wet from the splash up, and then catching the constant wind. I just bought a set of splash guards, and have yet to try them (or figure out where they are supposed to be tied)... that will hopefully make a big difference.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That small amount of water is likely coming in through the rudder line thru-hulls. I keep a "WOOSH Bilge Sponge" tied to the hatch in front of each seat in my Oasis. These lay on the inside hull bottom and suck up that small amount of water. At the end of the day I squeeze them out good (I tied them with enough line to hold them over the side of the hull).

I would not put anything in the hull that I want to keep dry without using a dry bag (I usually have 2 in the hull). Even if there are no leaks moisture will condensate out of the air in the hull as temperature changes.

Peter

Last edited by plfinch on Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ah, good info here! I hadn't even considered the thought of condensation being a contributing factor (duh, in retrospect). Also, I had read about the rudder lines leaking, but thought it would only happen with a heavily loaded down weight load... but also in retrospect, it makes sense that some splash up would occur, especially in wavey conditions.

Good to know about the Bilge Sponge -- maybe I'll grab one of those too. Great product idea, and I like the simplicity :). I just looked it up -- It's "Skwoosh", right?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, sorry. SKWOOSH.

Amazon ASIN B001NFVZA0.

There is a similar but cheaper model from Harmony with good reviews (Amazon ASIN B0047H0LII). I have no personal experience with it.

Peter