Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie TI beach dolly?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all, After years of trailer launching off boat ramps, I find myself usually w/o someone to sail with, and am not having an easy time of it, so I’m considering re-joining the club at Sandy Hook Bay in NJ after many years. It’s beach storage and launching (unless I want to back my CX-9 over the beach every time. er, no. And apparently they are no longer allowing trailer storage, as they’re losing their parking lot to residential construction next door.)

So they don’t have a TI dolly, only catamaran dollys, and I just had a heart attack looking at the price of one (altho being a Hobie owner all these years I guess I shouldn’t). So the inevitable questions:

1) Anyone selling one used?
2) Is there any easy way to use a Hobie Cat beach dolly for the TI? Has anyone attempted to attach one of the TI cradles to them? Is there a mod that would allow that to be strapped on or something? Possibly grasping at straws here.
3) I saw someone there has a set of cradles mounted in the sand for storage, Is that a better way to store on the beach than just sitting it on the sand? (I will find this person to interrogate them, too.)
4) Anything I should know about summer beach storage specifically for the Island boats?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Purchased a new TI this summer and wanted a Hobie Beach Dolly to use with it. Unfortunately, they were not available. The dealer had some on backorder with no idea when they would arrive. In its place, the dealer recommended a Dynamic Dolly:

https://dynamicdollies.com/collections/ ... dem-island

Not a cheap alternative but have found it is easy to maneuver with the TI on it. Had the TI on a trailer up a short hill from the lake. A neighbor has a sandy beach he let us use to launch. The dolly had no problem crossing about 20 feet of beach sand and was easy to move down and up the gravel drive to the trailer. The Dynamic website shows fat beach tires are available for that dolly model; I learned they are not suitable for the TI. The fatter wheels would interfere with the amas. The main hull is supported by the strap and the amas are outside the standard wheels.