Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:02 am 
Hobie Team Member

Here is my AI cart. After destroying several PVC carts and struggling with the deep Florida sand, I was constantly looking for a better cart design.

Years ago I was given a cart used for Sunfish sailboats. The cart was very big with knobby tires a little bigger than the black ones sold for kayak carts. At that time I shortened the axel and the web sling so it fit my AI. Nonetheless, even with the bigger black knobby tires, it dug into the sand. I left this big bulky thing at home most of the time. Here is picture of the original cart http://www.westcoastsailing.net/osComme ... i-531.html

I happened to be fishing near a lifeguard stand and a female lifeguard easily wheeled out a waverunner on a cart made with very big wheeleeze.
I decided to revisit my cart.

I immediately ordered the biggest tires wheeleeze makes (49CM w/ 1 inch axel diameter. I also bought the long alum axel from Wheeleexe and cut it in two pieces because the original axel on the cart was not long enough to get the fat wheels out beyond the cart.

Here is a pic and discussion from our local club. https://www.gulfcoastkayakfishing.com/f ... e=1#M13309
Besides the tires that float over the sand like a magic carpet, the physics that make this cart work so well is that the long cart handle (not shown int he pic) extends beyond the nose of the yak. This allows me to pull on the cart and not the yak. Most yak carts have to be strapped or otherwise held from slipping because the sand puts enourmous pressure on the cart and the yak wants to slide. By pulling the cart and not the yak, the yak has no tendency to slide or move.

Hobie might talk to the sunfish cart company (???) and work a deal with both them and wheeleeze. It will be expensive but at 47 years old, I have no trouble hauling my approx 200 lbs of gear across 200 yards of deep sand. Before I would damn near have a heart attack.

Post subject: Carts
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I hear you on the carts and being 61 makes handling these yaks difficult. I first bought the hard wheeled plug in cart which is worthless on sand, then I bought a rolleez folding cart with big beach tires which rolls like a dream on any sand but tends to slide when manuvering around the beach and the amas rub the tires if they are fully installed. I recently bought the Kayak Fishing Stuff plug in cart with beach tires which is good but the amas rub the wheels on the cart as well, so I strap the gear and amas to the top of the yak and complete assembly at waters edge. I have also changed the tires on the KFS cart to the big rolleez tires. The problem I have with the plug in cart is how to install them when your alone, anyone have a method to plugin??
I'm now thinking of modifing one the carts to have a couple of carpeted bunks with straps at each end, so I can lift the yak up on the cart on the beach and strap the bunks through the drain holes, any opinions on that idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To install the scupper cart by myself, I added two straps with a plastic buckle. I then put the cart on the AI while still on the truck and buckle it together around the hull and tighten so it doesn't shift while lowering to the ground.

I mostly store the cart in the front hatch on the AI, and except in larger shore break, I remove it as part of my landing check list and put it on while in 2-3' of water and roll right up the beach. The sprayskirt makes a nice place for it to ride while going in till it's time to use it.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

kayaking bob - So your able to sink the tires and frame in the water?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, and even if you don't use the straps the cart still keeps in place (in the water) by the flotation of the tires. Just be sure (if you have Hobie's balloon tires) to check that the tires are clipped on well. The Hobie balloon tires like to pop back off at just the wrong times. :o

Kayaking Bob