Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Folks,

I've been talking abut this for a while with my dealer, Backyard Boats in Annapolis, MD, and we finally decided to go ahead and do it. I know there are a lot of AI sailors in the Washington, DC / Annapolis, MD area, and I think it's time we got together and had some fun! Check out the link to the Chesapeake Hobie Island Group, our new Meetup Group on meetup.com.

http://www.meetup.com/Chesapeake-Hobie-Island-Group/

It's not a formal club, so there's no cost or obligation. It's just a bunch of AI sailors who want to get together and enjoy our toys. We're having our first meetup on Tuesday, May 19. Stop by the site and sign up to see what we're about. We look forward to seeing you.

Happy Sailing
- Jim L

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sounds Great! Can't wait to sail in this group, I'll see you guys there

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We had the first organizational meeting for the Chesapeake Hobie Island Group last week, and things are starting to come together. Glenn_SouthRiver & I didn't get anybody to join us on the water. Apparently nobody else felt it worth taking time off work to get there early enough to get in some sailing. Too bad as we got to watch the US Navy Blue Angels practicing. Still, the first meeting was a success. We got to meet some new friends, and we planned our first couple sailing meetups.

The first sailing meetup of the Chesapeake Hobie Island Group is now scheduled for Saturday, June 13 at Sandy Point State Park in Annapolis, MD.

The second sailing meetup is scheduled as part of the world wide Summer Sailstice Celebration, a two day annual event to promote sailing, on Saturday & Sunday, June 20 & 21. Check out this link for more information on Summer Sailstice.
http://www.summersailstice.com
We'll be sailing out of the Backyard Boats shop in Annapolis, MD on Saturday. There's a floating dock to launch from that puts you right into Spa Creek & the Annapolis Harbor.

Come check out our meetup site (http://www.meetup.com/Hobie-Adventure-Island-Group/) for more information on the Chesapeake Hobie Island Group. We're a low pressure group, so there's no guilt or obligation. We're just about enjoying our Hobie Adventure Islands, and getting them out on the water as often as we can. So far there's about a dozen folks registered, so it's growing fast. Should be a fun summer!

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a call out to all the Washington, DC & Baltimore area AI sailors. Come on out and get together with other AI sailors this Saturday at Sandy Point State Park in Annapolis, MD.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/southern/sandypoint.html
The Chesapeake Hobie Island Group is having our first actual sailing meetup. We have 10 people & boats signed up so far, but there's always room for more. The Chesapeake Bay is pretty good size, after all. We're meeting at the park at around 11:00 AM. We'll be launching from the beach, and with the AI being as unique as it is, we should be pretty easy to find. Bring a picnic along and join in for what is sure to be a good time.

For more information about the Chesapeake Hobie Island Group, check us out at meetup.com
http://www.meetup.com/Hobie-Adventure-Island-Group/

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Remember, it didn't happen without pics... :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cowsgomoo wrote:

Remember, it didn't happen without pics... :)

Shouldn't be a problem. I know there will be at least two waterproof cameras there.

For any AI sailors who want to join in, we're meeting on what I'm told is called "Hobie Beach". Come on out and join the fun!

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Speak of the devil... just got done reading "Chesapeake" by James A. Michener. A must read for you guys down there! :wink: