Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey anyone see Catalyst on ABC TV tonight? Seems the waters off Port Stephens is ground zero for juvenile great whites. :shock:

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hehe, I love it: "Every juvenile white shark in Australia may well visit this site." That oughta stop us from dawdling around on the trip up and back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cowsgomoo wrote:
Hey anyone see Catalyst on ABC TV tonight? Seems the waters off Port Stephens is ground zero for juvenile great whites. :shock:

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/

No, I didn't see it, but I have now. Gee I can't thank you enough for sharing that with me CGM. :evil:
I can't wait to forward you a documentary on 'Crocodiles breeding in Sydney Harbour'. :wink:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anyway, it's not that bad. Those juveniles don't get much more than 10 feet long.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Anyway, it's not that bad. Those juveniles don't get much more than 10 feet long.

Yeah but they don't stop feeding.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some safety tips for you-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Just thought that I would take the opportunity to recap on who's up for the trip to BI and when. So far I think most are good for 22nd and 23rd (Mon Tues) or 25th and 26th (Thur/Fri). How about if we aim for the Mon, Tues and then if the weather is rubbish we have another chance later in the week ? Any thoughts ?

Attending
Slaughter - yes
ChrisJ - yes
Stringy - yes
Cowsgomoo - unknown
Mickeymouse - YES :D
Okz00k - unknown

Any others ?

Also with Stringy's suggestion of staying over the night before. I reckon I will drive up there in the morning as it's only a bit over an hour for me but there is a caravan site at Shoal Bay right next to where we will launch. All those who would like to camp the night before, let me know and I'll organise it.

I'm not going to miss out on this great adventure :!: Just hope the weather is similar to what's forecast later this week :roll:
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/nsw4.asp
I'm planning on heading up to Tuggerah later this week. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to monitor the forums and make sure we all keep in touch :roll:
On another topic - has anyone done a scuba diving course they can recommend??

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yay Mickey! You can ring me on 0407463470 to touch down and I have Slaughter and Stringy's numbers. I did my PADI open water diver's licence with Pro-Dive in Long Jetty and they were OK. Of course it was 1997, so they may have changed a bit :roll:. Let's pray for good weather - it's been really wet for the past couple of weeks, but starting to fine up now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Yay Mickey! You can ring me on 0407463470 to touch down and I have Slaughter and Stringy's numbers. I did my PADI open water diver's licence with Pro-Dive in Long Jetty and they were OK. Of course it was 1997, so they may have changed a bit :roll:. Let's pray for good weather - it's been really wet for the past couple of weeks, but starting to fine up now.

Thanks Chris - we've had a good drop of precipitation here too. You couldn't get a much better time of year to do this - I think we would be dead unlucky to cop bad weather. :wink:
Can't wait to tell me old mate Pirate about our adventure (when he returns from his latest month-long geriatric's sea cruise) :mrgreen: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is great news Mickey! :)
My wife and I did the FAUI dive course in Terrigal Haven with Les and Fran Graham back in the 80's. We had a great time and would recommend them without hesitation:
http://www.terrigaldive.com.au/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
My wife and I did the FAUI dive course in Terrigal Haven with Les and Fran Graham back in the 80's. We had a great time and would recommend them without hesitation:

Thanks Stringy - not sure whether I'll have time to fit it in this trip but I'll check it out just in case. Might be something I can fit in if the weather isn't quite right for our trip.
Speaking of which - who's taking the fridge, generator and other necessities :?
Actually I'm planning on keeping it pretty spartan - however the one thing I do need to bring is adequate light.
The last time I camped out I couldn't believe how dark it was - and very early in the evening too.
Given our space constraints and need for the light to be waterproof I would be interested in knowing what everyone uses :roll:
Can we make a campfire?? I would think the answer is probably not :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mickey,
I'm not sure about a campfire. Anyway I hate smoke- it reminds me of work! :wink:
I find a headlamp really useful when camping as handsfree is very handy -especially when cooking in the dark!
I use this Princeton Tec Quad led.
http://www.princetontec.com/?q=node/66
A great light, though expensive. There are lots of cheap knock-offs available though at places like Supercheap and K-Mart.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mickey, check out a camping goods store, like BCF. You can get cheap waterproof LED lights and lanterns which are good for camping and can double as nav lights on the boat. Also, there are great mini gas burners available. Slaughter has one and he's even added a little griller to it. Bushbuddy stoves look pretty good too - they basically run on twigs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
stringy wrote:

Thanks Stringy - not sure whether I'll have time to fit it in this trip but I'll check it out just in case. Might be something I can fit in if the weather isn't quite right for our trip.
Speaking of which - who's taking the fridge, generator and other necessities :?
Actually I'm planning on keeping it pretty spartan - however the one thing I do need to bring is adequate light.
The last time I camped out I couldn't believe how dark it was - and very early in the evening too.
Given our space constraints and need for the light to be waterproof I would be interested in knowing what everyone uses :roll:
Can we make a campfire?? I would think the answer is probably not :roll:

That's great that you can make it Mickey. Yeah, us New South Welshmen prefer it around the 30 knots but I suppose under 20 will have to do ( hope I don't have to eat my words ). I'm also going to go spartan, Chris is going as a Roman gladiator and Stringy is going to wear his Firemans outfit. ( sorry, I've had too many beers on the 'diving AI hulls' thread ).
I was just going to take my burner which should be good enough for all but I suppose we should have something small as a backup. I was only planning on the 1 hot meal anyway. I may also need to purchase a waterproof LED.
Have we picked the best days yet to suit all ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for all the info guys. 8)
Slaughter - sounds like it'll be a great party - with everyone in fancy dress :lol:
Do we need an EPIRB :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next