Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mickey, I can't get a photo of my undercover that really shows how it works. This should give you an idea of what's required: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/show ... php?t=1826.
The aka crossbars are closer together on the TI than the AI, so it might be safer to go with poles at least 6 feet long rather than 5 feet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Mickey, I can't get a photo of my undercover that really shows how it works. This should give you an idea of what's required: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/show ... php?t=1826.
The aka crossbars are closer together on the TI than the AI, so it might be safer to go with poles at least 6 feet long rather than 5 feet.

Chris - thanks for the info re pole length, undercover & link - very enlightening :) :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is this one OK :roll:
http://www.jervisbaycaravanpark.com.au/index.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cowsgomoo wrote:
mickeymouse wrote:
Stringy - the biggest reservation I have about it is that we will soon have our TI and the hammock frame will not fit it :( :shock:

Isn't the aka spacing about the same between the AI and TI?

Who said that...........Cows, how are ya mate. You com'n along ?

Chris - Good points. It is a pretty big bay when you put it like that :shock: Yeah because I don't know the place at all, I've sort of sat back and listened. And every time I look at the map, the place gets smaller ie: 'yeah, we'll knock the whole bay over in a day, what are we going to do tomorrow' sort of thing. I can now see from your latest reality check map, this ain't gunna happen. What are the camping issues again with Honeymoon Bay. It looks like the perfect location being right in the middle of all good locations. Also, as we have seen from this Easter, the weather does seem to be getting more unpredictable which could restrict our movements in the open water.
I know you are right with the undercovers too. I'm a bit of a cold frog and won't be hammock sleeping without some setup underneath. But I might test drive a few other cheaper options first.

Mickey and Stringy - Again, I think you are right with the poles. I did a quick FEA (finite element analysis) on the geometry of the frame and loadings of the hammock design. With poly pipe and without a safety factor, anything above 120kg would require extra stiffening of the poles due to bending. A way of doing this is to attach a larger diameter section of pipe, say 500mm long, over the central section of the 1.5m poles. ie: pipe in a pipe. This will stiffen up where maximum bending occurs. Problem though, without checking standard pipe section dimensions, I bet sizes won't match up. With stainless however, if you give me the section sizes I'll punch it into the calc to make sure it's safe. Note too that the poles must be a pivot connection and not fixed.

P.S. The 120kg is purely a calculated figure and by no way references any body weight estimations. :roll:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

Last edited by Slaughter on Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No problems with Honeymoon Bay mate, except it's on the edge of an artillery range which is used on weekdays :shock:. Hah, we laugh at artillery! You can't moor in Honeymoon Bay, but it is permitted in areas immediately adjacent, so the hammock option is available, but that brings us back to all the cost and logistic problems with the hammocks. Get the feeling we are going around in circles here?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The advantage of the poly pipe is that a cut down 40mm T-piece fits neatly over the aka crossbar and provides a pivot. I don't know how easy that is to achieve with SS pipe. I kinda lucked out initially, passing aluminium boat hooks down the middle of the poly pipes. It was just a quick and easy way to get something to tie the ropes to, but the upshot is that the boathooks take the weight and the poly pipe just becomes a kind of pivoting sleeve. Totally not elegant, but effective in practice. I subsequently eliminated the boat hooks because my present setup is neater and a bit easier to set up and is fine for my weight (77kg).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Of course, we always have the option to load the boats on the cars each day and drive to the most favourable launch points.

That's what I had in mind Chris with Currarong as a base. If the ocean was too rough then we would launch from somewhere on the eastern side of JB using cars. A car shuffle would also be easier if we decided to do the ocean side and into JB exiting at Honemoon Bay, Long Beach, Cabbage Tree Point or even Callala Bay. This assumes of course that we have access through the weapons range. Weekends should be OK but weekdays maybe not! :?
We probably need to pick a date so that accurate enquiries can be made, although from what I have read you can only find out 2 weeks in advance.

Slaughter,
I'll get the measurements of the SS tube and let you know.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gotcha Chris.

Also, I have cut a slot in my poly 'T's slightly narrower than the crossbar diameter. It can then be slid on where the crossbars diameter is smaller at the ends where it necks down. Then, once on, they can't be pulled off without pushing the up towards the ends. May have to take a photo to explain. This also helps when transporting on the akas as they don't have to be tied down on one end.

Stringy - I'm at work next week so when I get the numbers I'll put them into the model and it will spit out how safe the stainless pipe is. Gut feel......it will be fine, but that does depend on how many eggs you consumed over Easter.

Last edited by Slaughter on Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, go ahead and make a date. If I can fit in with it, I will.

Slaughter, I understand what you are saying about the T's. Phil did something similar.

If the Currarong Caravan Park is the go, why worry about the hammocks?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your right. I'm getting one anyway for the Tassy trip, but if we stay at a designated campsite or cabins there is probably no reason to rush into it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
We probably need to pick a date so that accurate enquiries can be made, although from what I have read you can only find out 2 weeks in advance.

Chris - I kinda thought you could see a month ahead - after 24 Apr or thereabouts :? :roll:
I am a bit messed up because of 12 May commitment.
Chris - I got the impression the last couple of weekends in May were possibilities (Maybe) :roll:
If we're going with the base camp option, I will hold off going down the hammock route. I love the idea but not sure how much use I would make of it in the future. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some more info! :?
Just spoke to the Naval Weapons Ranger for Beecroft Peninsula. When the training is on during the week all beaches are closed and you have to remain 5NM away. Red flags are posted everywhere that are visible from the water. So even the hammock solution wouldn't work for these times. He did say that May can be quiet but they only need to give 1 weeks notice.
Honeymoon Bay is only about half full now and you don't need to book. Even the second week of the school holidays is quiet the Ranger said. :shock: Just turn up. It is open every weekend and Public/School holidays. You are allowed in from Midday Friday and must be out Sunday night. You are not allowed to camp/moor during the week, even if there are no exercises. :(
If the BP is closed the closest JB launch point to Currarong is at Callala Bay, about a 15min drive according to the receptionist at the caravan park. Interestingly the park is now empty she said and bookings shouldn't be a problem.
With this info what are your thoughts now? How does this affect you Slaughter and your wish to keep it restricted to one working week? If we were to aim for Thu-Sun would you be able to get back Sunday night?
It changes my preference for Currarong as a base as even the ocean is restricted if the Naval exercises are on. :(
Possible options:
1- Aim for HB Friday Lunch. Camp and leave Sunday. If no exercises stay in Cabin at Currarong so the ocean side could be explored (weather permitting). If exercises on, move to Chris's cabins to use as a base.
2-End the week at HB. What we do beforehand and where would depend on exercises.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hee Hee, they're not my cabins - Mickey found them.
Aint it amazing. We've got a desert the size of Western Europe and they choose one of the finest stretches of coastline in the country for an artillery range.
The half-empty camping grounds must be a sign the financial crisis is over. I remember, at its height, everyone was cancelling their overseas hols and you couldn't get a spot in a camping ground for love nor money.
Stringy, did you mean we could camp at HB, or just have lunch there, then move to some cabins?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thought for the day (I just had it):
Camping in a cabin is a bit like using a condom - sometimes necessary and still pretty good, but....................

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris,
I was thinking of camping there. Thought it might make a good base and we might as well make use of the weekend availability. :) At least on the weekend we could get around the Beecroft Peninsula safely, weather permitting.
I'd rather camp outdoors than in a cabin if possible.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next