Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Yeah, you do need special glue. The pipe is so cheap, why not just get a longer piece and jam it in? It can't slip out when the pipes are in use and it is a tight enough fit that it won't slip out during transport.

You've got a point there young Chris.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This might be of interest when it's updated-
(Booderee National Park is most of the southen part of Jervis Bay)
http://achoerodus-viridis.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html#7375814759319236342

More info here-

http://www.environment.gov.au/parks/booderee/index.html

Maps from same website-
http://www.environment.gov.au/parks/booderee/visitor-information/maps.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great links Cows :) 8) :wink:
Lots of good info etc - but I really enjoyed looking at the photos of the Broughton Island trip :D
Love the mother ship too 8) :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife and I just got back from 3 days camping at Honeymoon Bay. It is a great spot and will make an excellent base for exploring JB. 8)

The Navy operate the campsite and it seems better equipped than National Parks, with lots of Portaloos scattered throughout the large campsite.
Although there are no showers water is available at the Ranger station. We set up a shower using my boat washer. With a bit of hot water added it worked well. (Mickey take note as you have a similar set-up)

There are campsites very close to the easiest launch spot so we can drag the AI’s straight into camp on carts.
Launch spot

Possible trips:
Drive to Currarong (leaving one vehicle behind) and launch from boatramp (easy) for trip around Beecroft Peninsula and back to camp (weather permitting). Pick up vehicles later.

Other day trips

Looking forward to this! :)

PS-Thanks for those links CGM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
With a bit of hot water added it worked well. (Mickey take note as you have a similar set-up)

Stringy - thanks for doing the recce & planning. The photos are pretty inspiring too :) 8) :wink:
It looks like you are camped right next to your vehicle :roll: If I've got it right that is how you powered your shower setup - correct :?: I've never thought of the possibility of using my pressure washer as a shower - & a hot one at that :D
In relation to dragging our AIs to launch, which wheels are most suitable??
My beach wheels collapsed under the fully loaded weight on our last trip. The only others I have are the standard plastic ones. Maybe I need to get some heavy duty ones :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
The Lone Ranger and Tonto went camping in the desert. After they got their tent all set up, both men fell sound asleep.

Some hours later, Tonto wakes the Lone Ranger and says, 'Kemo Sabe, look towards sky, what you see? '

'The Lone Ranger replies, 'I see millions of stars.'

'What that tell you?' asked Tonto.

The Lone Ranger ponders for a minute then says, 'Astronomically speaking, it tells me there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo. Time wise, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three in the morning. Theologically, the Lord is all-powerful and we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What's it tell you, Tonto?'

'You dumber than buffalo (censored). It means someone stole the tent..'

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Save some jokes for the trip Mickey.
Thanks for the photos Stringy. This is all look'n really good. But how do I know the place isn't really a hole, and you haven't just Photoshoped the empty beer cans and litter out of the photos ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
In relation to dragging our AIs to launch, which wheels are most suitable??
My beach wheels collapsed under the fully loaded weight on our last trip. The only others I have are the standard plastic ones. Maybe I need to get some heavy duty ones :roll:

Mickey,
For this trip I only had the new Trax2 and the balloon wheels worked well. The heavy duty wheels would have worked OK. There was a small section of soft sand similar to our Shoal Bay launch.
My original Trax1 wheels which had previously let me down, didn't on our SB launch. I had filled them with that green liquid tyre sealant and it seemed to work.
The heavy duty wheels are available from Hobie.
A similar product is made here by Fallshaw and available from Reflex Engineering for around $35 each. They are very good quality. You need the 1/2" hub model.
It is car camping at HB which is a bonus as our AI's should be a lot lighter! :wink:
There were even unpowered caravan sites. I use an Aux battery for lighting and just the car battery for the washer.

Slaughter,
Definitely no rubbish there. I counted at least 6 commercial skips kindly provided by the Navy!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
There were even unpowered caravan sites

Stringy - thanks for all the info :) :wink:
Now I'm thinking I'll have to bring my "Mouse House" (small windsor pop-top c/van) along :roll:
I have a fair way to travel & it would provide me with B&B along the way :)
This sounds like it could be quite a civilised expedition :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy wrote:
Quote:
A similar product is made here by Fallshaw and available from Reflex Engineering for around $35 each. They are very good quality. You need the 1/2" hub model

Stringy - 1/2" hub model :? I guess that's for correct axle diameter?? Do these wheels have pneumatic tyres or are they solid? Do you know how many models they make? I have had a look at their web site but it's pretty general..Did you deal direct with them and order over the net? It would be good to be able to see one. I presume they don't have bearings and will fit on the original Trax cart OK??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some more pics for you guys-

Beecroft Circumnavigation
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/John.Piotrowski/BeecroftCircumnavigation#

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks CGM. The more information we get on the place, the more I want to stay longer. Dunno how we are going to fit it all in. May have to do 1/2 now and 1/2 in 6 months time.
Are you com'n as well ? Come on mate, you must have a couple of sickies owing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Stringy wrote:
Quote:
A similar product is made here by Fallshaw and available from Reflex Engineering for around $35 each. They are very good quality. You need the 1/2" hub model

Stringy - 1/2" hub model :? I guess that's for correct axle diameter?? Do these wheels have pneumatic tyres or are they solid? Do you know how many models they make? I have had a look at their web site but it's pretty general..Did you deal direct with them and order over the net? It would be good to be able to see one. I presume they don't have bearings and will fit on the original Trax cart OK??

Mickey,
I've just discovered that Fallshaw don't actually have a 1/2" bore hub. :(
20mm bore is the smallest. I have just got two of their wheels and will add bearings to them as seen here:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=21856&p=102797#p102797
The wheels are FA 350X4DMD-PW and are $35 each.
The simplest, though more expensive solution, would be to get the Hobie Heavy Duty Upgrade Kit 80043 and cut down the supplied bushes. This is what I originally did.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey fellas, if you go up to CGM's thread with the circumnavigation link, that may not be a bad idea. On Google Earth the crossing would only be about 200m. Just have to get through the bush on the northern side but could be worth a thought. When we are driving there it may be worth stopping at that point and seing if it's do-able. If so that would make it about a 35km trip.

Last edited by Slaughter on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
mickeymouse wrote:
Stringy wrote:
Quote:

Mickey,
I've just discovered that Fallshaw don't actually have a 1/2" bore hub. :(
20mm bore is the smallest. I have just got two of their wheels and will add bearings to them as seen here:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=21856&p=102797#p102797
The wheels are FA 350X4DMD-PW and are $35 each.
The simplest, though more expensive solution, would be to get the Hobie Heavy Duty Upgrade Kit 80043 and cut down the supplied bushes. This is what I originally did.

Thanks Stringy - did they mail them to you?
Funny thing - I've just returned from BJ Bearings in town. I seem to be making a visit there once a day lately.
I expect I'll be able to get the bearings there OK.
They also keep heavy duty wheels without bearings that are used by local boat shops to launch and retrieve. Only trouble is they are much too large for our needs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next