Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

2pm Sunday 12 December. I put in at a little park off The Esplanade at Oyster Bay, where there is a small break in the mangroves. Sailed around past Como Bridge into a gusty Westerly. Tied up in an empty motor cruiser berth at Como marina and went for a coffee.

By the time I turned back, it was a gusty northeaster until I turned south back into Oyster Bay when you guessed it - I hit a southerly! But what a feeling, slicing through the perfectly flat water with a good breeze.

I had my first rudder pin explosion on a gust. Don't worry when it happens to you, as it most probably will. It was quite easy to peddle paddle to shore and replace it with the spare under the rear hatch. Advice to self: Don't forget to replace pin.

Also, on the way I stopped off at the Carringbah Hobie centre to look at a TI. With a few extra feet and 50% more sail than the AI, it looks like a real mover. I'm tempted...

I am still planning on a Sydney Harbour boxing day foray if anyone would like to join me. Otherwise, let us know if you're looking to form a fleet for a sail in the Christmas - early Jan period.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm looking forward to getting down that way in the new year. Good to see you checking out the coffee situation... :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'll be up for that in the New Year.
Took my TI out for the first time yesterday for its shakedown voyage. Rose Bay to Balmoral and return. Boat performed flawlessly. I'm a bit sore today lifting, pushing and shoving the TI on land solo. More time in the gym required. And a trailer is looking attractive!
Looking forward to a group outing around Sydney.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll be up for it, in the new year. I'll be spending my Christmas period back in my hometown of Port Stephens. I hope to get a few sails over the holidays.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll certainly keep in touch via this thread about Boxing Day.
Where would be the best launch site ? Any thoughts about the route ?
I'll have to upgrade the seat if we are off to Hobart !

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Slaughter wrote:
...I'll have to upgrade the seat if we are off to Hobart !

LOL :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Fellow Sydneyites

The thought of going out on Sydney Harbour on Boxing Day in a AI or TI is something you will remember for the rest of your life - because that's how long it will take you to recover. The chop from all the stink boats is unbelievable, it's survival conditions,, however if you must do it I would try to launch from Manly, if you can find a place to park. I'd peddle to the point at Quaranteen (inside North Head) and stay there until the kaos is over. Any other day over the break I would love to join you.
A trip I recommend is Sydney harbor to Long Reef and back, it's much nicer offshore over the holidays.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Davew offers some sage advice about the perils of Sydney Harbour on Boxing Day and suggests we go seaward up to Long Reef, which I expect is near Bali somewhere. Sounds excellent.

My original Boxing Day plan was to put in at Vaucluse Bay. A very protected little inlet that leads out to the harbour near Watsons Bay. However, land traffic could be bad with all the sightseers hitting the eastern peninsular to Neillson Park and South Head.

Perhaps a better plan is to hit the water at Tunks Park Cammeray at 10am. (Free car and trailer parking) Sail through the Spit and rest up at Balmoral. Then just before race start, tickle the edges of mayhem from Middle Harbour for great view of the Heads. When it gets all too much (probably 15 minutes), hi-tail it with sea breeze and tide (hopefully) back up the river to peace and tranquility.

To note: Other projects I have in mind for after Boxing Day are:
Colo River from the bridge.
Georges River west from Como.
Fort Denison on New Year's Eve :lol: (ie the last one was a joke)

Hope to meet up soon,
Donald

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Slaughter et al,
Here is an update on my Boxing Day plan.
Turn up at Tunks Park Cammeray at 10am with brother, work out how to put my brand new second hand TI (Christmas pressy to self) together for the first time.
Go sailing at 11am to Balmoral Beach south end.
About 12.30 head out to harbour for tacking duel with maxis.
Back to Balmoral for coffee, then home, with luck.
hope to see you there.
cheers, Donald

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Boxing Day. Arrived Tunks Park in steady drizzle with skeptical brother. Worked out the first time ropes and headed off towards the heads.

After Bermuda Triangle wind effects, we made it to Balmoral for coffee & foccacia before the assault on the Sydney Hobart spectator area. It was calm with large and small craft bobbing about awaiting the starter's gun. By the waves we got, the TI is certainly in the novelty class.

Then the action started with all & sundry charging north with Wild Oats. Captain Cook cruisers, Packeresque mega yachts, tugs and assorted motored boats made us feel a bit slow as they surged past with us very literally in their crisscrossing wakes. Very exciting, but we really shouldn't have got caught so much in the thick of it. However, the three conjoined bananas kept us upright and we made it safely back to the shelter of middle harbour.

Gliding back under Spit Bridge the sun came through and the wind died to a whisper for a long peddle back to Cammeray. Brother said we should do it again, in about ten years and headed off to the chemist.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hehe, glad you survived the day.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

fellas
The weather/wind forcast looks great this week I'll be heading offshore from Northbridge Wed and Fri at around 10am if anyone wants to joinup.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Davew, thanks for the invitation, but I can't make those times. Looks great today.

Would anyone be interested in planning a sail on one of the following days:
Sunday 2 Jan to Wednesday 5 Jan.
Friday 7 Jan to Sunday 9 Jan.
I was thinking anywhere from Port Hacking to Brisbane Waters. Suggestions welcome.
Unfortunately I have tickets to the cricket on 6 Jan.

cheers,
Donald

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Donald
The cricket may be over by 6th. I'm off until 7th and going out all good weather days. Any day 10am Northbridge.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DonaldAIsailor wrote:
Unfortunately I have tickets to the cricket on 6 Jan

Unfortunately indeed........... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next