Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been sailing my Adventure Island around Sydney Harbour, and its rivers, Hacking River, Batemans Bay for a year now. I'd like to hook up with a group for an occasional adventure, or organise a sail if other soloists are interested.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Donald

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Greetings Donald

I'm a Sydneyite who sails the harbour regularly and would welcome your company. Weekends I launch from Lane Cove, and Northbridge on Mon or Tues. I often sail with 2 other lads on Mon Tues. Where are you based and when do you go out?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are a few of us who have met intermittently for group sails on Sydney Harbour or the Pittwater/Broken Bay area, but the logistics of co-ordinating a group of more than 2 or 3 can be a bit of a nightmare.

I'm wondering if it's time to set up something like a website, a Facebook page or a shared Google calendar, so everyone can just post their available times and contact details.

Then on any given date, each of us could just look and see who's up for it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maaate....

You just missed out on an awesome day out on Pittwater yesterday. Myself and a new AI owner (JohnL ) went for a fantastic sail from Bayview up past Scotland Island to Portuguese Bay for lunch!
Checked out a bunch of small bays and had a great time. Perfect breeze too so my legs weren't knackered like some of the trips... :lol:

There'll be a trip report soon....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, that was a quick response. Hi Cowsgomoo, Chrisj and Davew.
Some of my best outings include:
from Tunks Park at Cammeray up around Middle Harbour and under Spit Bridge.
from Hunters Hill up Lane Cove river at high tide.
from Grays Point down the Hacking river a way and back.
Clyde river at Batemans Bay
Balmoral and Clifton Gardens are also good launching (and lunching) spots.
I live near Clovelly and on the right day I would love to go from there around to Coogee, but I would only go out ocean side with company.
Brisbane Waters would be good.
Also I have a mind to head up the Shoalhaven from Nowra and see how you can get.
I am an office slave so generally only get out on the weekend, but certainly can get a midweek pass with some planning.
Anyone interested in this Sunday, or do you have a next outing planned?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Donald,

This invite to AI sailers only? Are TI sailers welcome? 8)

Hey Dave,

Where in Lane Cove do you launch? I'm not far from Lane Cove. I've launched (sea) kayaks at Lane Cove National Park (near the Steakhouse). Is it anywhere near there?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Gidday Hammer
At Lane Cove I launch at a beach off Griffith Park in Dunois St Longueville, limited parking though I aways find a spot. You want to avoid low tide going in or out but good spot am on weekends. Skiff and Laser boys take over on Sat from noon but OK if you go out pre 11am.

Hope to see you, I'm sailing Broken Bay today from Palm Beach with 2 other AIs. I'll send a report.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Apologies to Hammer and all TI couples, I did not mean to discriminate on single or dual seat status nor by colour (red or yellow). :lol: All welcome of course.

I am boldly going to flag my intention to go for a sail at 10am on Sunday 28 November morning from Tunks Park Cammeray. Plan would be to sail around to the Spit and Balmoral and back, hopefully with tide and sea breeze.

Would love to meet anyone who might get down there.
cheers, Donald

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Donald
Well done- that's the way to arrange a sail, advise your intentions and put out an open invitation. You will find plenty of company at Northbridge on a fine Sunday but don't let that put you off.

Another launching option is next to the 18' Sydney flying sqadron at Kirribilli. I'll try and meet you on the harbour if the weather is OK.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wish I could join you but I've got to work this weekend :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Would love to join you guys, but my TI hasn't arrived yet. Apparently they're in the country (distributor) but my dealer hasn't received their orders yet. :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Went out on Sunday from Tunks Park Cammeray as planned. No other takers on this occasion but that's fine. Flukey winds, so too much peddling. But I explored the bays and got around to Roseville Bridge for a nice coffee at the boatshed cafe. On the way back was tempted by some freshening breeze to chase the lasers up to Spit Bridge. Was punished by calm and rain. Great day out as usual.

Might be silly, but I am thinking of a boxing day sortie on the harbour with the Sydney Hobart spectators. Plan: Head out from the sheltered Vaucluse Bay. Watch the fleet and spectators go by. Then sail over to Clifton Gardens / Rose Bay / Watsons Bay for afternoon tea depending on traffic and conditions. I'm thinking safety in numbers?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great idea Donald. I'm a bit of a country hick so the traffic / parking etc is the only thing that puts me off. ( and the thought of making a name for myself on national TV by punching a hole in the side of 'Wild Oats'. )
But it is the sort of trip that certainly interests me.
Do you all know about www.nearmap.com
Note, it is very limited but it is fast and 4 years ahead of Google Earth at the moment !

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter, I was astonished at the clarity and detail of the photos at http://www.nearmap.com ... I could even clearly see my TI on the front lawn of my house! Sure clobbers Google maps in this regard! Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi all, just thought I would stick my head in for a look and see if you had anything organized yet, Melbourne is a bit far away I know!
Nearmap for my area is about 4 years behind Google earth I have to say.

Anyway hope you all manage to get together and look forward to reading about it soon, You have quite a lot of AI TI owners around Sydney now best wishes.