Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Florida AI/TI owners
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glenn has a good idea. Let's start a list of FL AI/TI owners. Of course, folks in Georgia may also want to sign in.

Name: Keith
Handle: Chekika
Model: 2 Adventure Islands
Where do I sail: Biscayne Bay, FL Bay, Everglades Nat'l Park, FL Keys, 10,000 Islands (Everglades City, Chokoloskee), Cape Romano, and FL Keys. My wife, Nancy, and I do Cedar Key on the 1st weekend in May most years. That weekend is the Cedar Key gathering of the West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron, a group devoted to small sail boats.

Last edited by Chekika on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Panhandle Owner
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Name: joanie
Handle: toomanyboats
Model: Adventure Island
Where do I sail:
1) The Choctawhatchee Bay out of Sandestin's Baytowne Marina and the Legion Park launch (nearby). The Sandesin site does not allow parked trailers, so after I get the boat in the water, I must leave to put the empty trailer back in the garage. Reverse that arrangement when I finish sailing. (Yeah, 4 trips for 1 sail. ...not so nice.) It's good sailing, once you finally get underway. The Legions Park site is far less complicated, but it is quite shallow, and you've gotta wait until you're "out-aways" before dropping your centerboard.
2) The Gulf (near Sandestin). Fingers are crossed that I can find a nice launch area. It looks like there's a "beach access" off 30A that will allow me to "cart-in" the AI. Haven't tried it yet - but a NW breeze is promised for tomorrow. Maybe I'll [finally] have my first AI sail on "The Gulf"!

I have a condo in the Destin/panhandle area, usually during the early Autumn & early Spring. I've been searching for good launching areas. There seems to be a good bayside supply, but the gulf isn't as accessible (without paying big $$ for launch and parking fees). It's been kinda fun exploring, though. This URL has helped: Destin Saltwater Boat Ramps

Last edited by toomanyboats on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Darryl Duffe'
Amelia Island, FL
As far north as you can go in Florida and as westerly as you can get on the East Coast.
Just south of the wild jewel of the east coast, Cumberland Island. GA
[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I love sailing my adventure island and am located in the Tampa Bay area (Clearwater). It would be nice for a couple of us with our AI's to get together some weekend.

Jim Quinlan
tap5s (AT) yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:D Bill Waller, Venice (Southwest FL)
Email: [email protected]

I love sailing/peddling the Gulf from Venice to Sarasota or on creeks running from the Gulf east to the Myakka River. I look forward to finding all the neat little river-rat bars/restaurants and places to camp along the Myakka so I can do 3-4 day expeditions. If anyone else is planning a kayak camping trip and wants some company, I'd like to join the party.

This sure beats playing golf!

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought my AI last weekend after reading the rave reviews on this forum and others. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Name- Mike
Where do I sail- Choctawhatchee Bay- Destin, Niceville, Fort Walton
Where do I Kayak- Shoal River, Alaqua, Turkey Creek, Yellow River, Blackwater River and anywhere else.

I hope to start fishing in the Gulf with it next summer

Post subject: FLA AI owner
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In time, maybe we will have Hobie AI fleets just like the cat sailors.

Name: Ron
Handle: ShallowMindedII
Location: Sarasota. Usually sail Little Sarasota Bay, the Gulf from Venice/Siesta Key/Lido Key. Some times to Fort Desoto Park. Have sailed to as far south as Key Largo. Took a 3 night camping trip this spring to Cape Lookout N.C. was the best beach camping spot I have been to. Nicer than Cape Ramono. Haven't been to the east coast of Florida yet, only a matter of time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a chance to do a little sailing-camping-fishing at one of the great wilderness beaches in S FL. A group of us are going to Cape Romano on Nov 6-8. We will leave from Stan's parking lot ramp in Goodland at 9:30 am on Nov 6. If you need directions/information send an email to kwellma (at) bellsouth dot net.

This will be a mixed group of paddlers, mostly sea kayakers, a canoe, and an AI or 2. They all like to fish and camp. The trip to Cape Romano is about 7 miles. For the AIs, depending on the winds, the trip will be about 9-10 miles.

Keith

Post subject: just checking the dates
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Keith, Nov 6th is a Tuesday. So I take it this is a weekday trip & not a weekend trip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ron,

I just left a note on the WaterTribe forum. Seems a new AI owner plans to do the EC and wants some camping experience.

Yes, the trip is during the week because (1) we can use Stan's parking lot in Goodland during the week. If you have ever been to Stan's on the weekend, you know there is no parking in Goodland because of the show he puts on. (2) we are trying to avoid the weekend boaters/tourists at Cape Romano. Hope you can make it.

Keith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just posted a brief report of Bill Waller (Venice) and my AI, 3-day camp trip under my "Have you done any Expedition trips..." post. Dave Whitford (Naples) did not camp but sailed his AI out and back on the first day.

Keith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have just posted a brief note on my "Have you done any Expedition trips..." asking if anyone is interested in doing an AI trip along the Gulf of Mexico from Flamingo to Chokoloskee (75 mi, 6 days w/ fishing.)

Keith

Post subject: AI Nationals in Miami
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:10 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

All you guys need to come to the AI Nationals in Miami! See the post under AI Nationals in Miami in the AI forum. This will be a historic event for the AI Class and a first in the history of sailing--the first hybrid regatta. Call me if you want at 305 860 0888--Jim DeSilva

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Intersted In networking "day trips" Dan Wisor Englewood FL..

Post subject: Cedar Key gathering
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you all know that there will be a "small boat" gathering in Cedar Key on May 3-4? There will be at least 3 AIs (maybe 4) there. Why not come up for a day or the weekend. Bill Waller and I will get up there on Fri, May 2. We are staying at Old Fenimore Mill condos.

There will be a wide variety of boats: sailing canoes, home-built sail boats, professionally-built sailboats, experimental sail boats, kayaks. Last year they had several excellent speakers on Saturday afternoon. If you have questions, contact me here or directly at kwellma at bellsouth dot com.

Keith

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next