Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Florida AI/TI owners
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joshua,

Nice run out to Pavilion, huh? I see you've indicated you are thinking of doing the EC--what year?

In addition to the Pavilion camping trip mentioned above, my wife & I are planning to do Chokoloskee to Flamingo (or vice versa) the week of Jan 15. Why not join us? It would be a good experience for the EC--although it is a super relaxing trip compared to the EC. Right now my wife, Nancy, has an ankle fracture and will not be doing the Pavilion trip, but I hope she is able to do the Chok-FLM one in Jan.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Keith,

I am signed up for the 2012 EC. My tribe name is TideTraveller. The Flamingo trip sounds great. Do you have a start and finish date planned? Maybe we can work out a shuttle. I'll be coming from Naples. You probably don't remember me, but I met you on a camping trip years ago with Dave Whitford.

Joshua

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith,

I am soooooo looking forward to another AI trip! I will definitely block out the week of Jan 15th to join you and, hopefully, Nancy.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Rick,

Yes, I hope Nancy can do our Chok-FLM trip. Jan 13 will be the 2-month anniversary of her fracture, so, hopefully she will be fully mended. She is the life of the party--at least on land.

Joshua, Rick did the Chok-FLM trip last year (as well as the aborted earlier attempt.) If you haven't seen the "picture-story" of those trips, here is the link: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=135 That is the aborted FLM-Chok trip. Then, the subsequent, Chok-FLM trip is described at: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=150

I always try to set up a shuttle. I have a trailer which can handle 3 AIs--Rick, Nancy, & I will probably fill that. My trailer may handle 4 AIs at the end of a trip. Depending on who does the trip & just what the arrangements are, I set it up so we don't have to pay to shuttle back and forth. You can always stay at my place a day or so at the end of the trip. My son always helps, and I do give him a little extra beyond his gas expenses. We will get it figured out.

Mention of the EC has got me thinking. Actually, Polecat, elsewhere on this forum, suggested the possibility of doing parts of the EC, e.g., from the start to Checkpt 1 (Placitas.) Once that is done, we could, as another trip, do from ckpt 1 to ckpt 2 (Chokoloskee)--it wouldn't be the EC, just a relaxed scouting trip.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Planning Chokoloskee to Flamingo Trip, Jan 16-22, 2012.

I'm in the process of getting this annual 7-day, 70-mile trip set up. It is scheduled for Jan 16-22, 2012. It takes place within the Everglades National Park starting in Chokoloskee at the NW end of the park, sailing/pedaling along coastal everglades to Flamingo in the SE end of the park. We camp on beach campsites. The detailed schedule is posted at: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&p=163451#p163451 Scroll down until you see Are you ready! Planned Chokoloskee to Flamingo Trip, Jan 16-22, 2012.

There are 2 ways to participate in this trip. (1) Do the whole, 7-day trip. This is a most relaxing trip and a great way to see coastal everglades. (2) Do the first 3 days of the trip. This part of the trip is simply a 3-day camp trip out of Chokoloskee to Pavilion Key. On the 3rd day, the through-trippers would continue south to Flamingo. The people who can't do that would return to Chokoloskee. A good time would be had by all. Pavilion Key is a great camping destination with a beautiful beach, with good fishing, and lots marine life--even raccoons to entertain you at night.

As of today, 4 AIs (Nancy, Rick Parks, Jim Quinlan, myself) and 1 TI (Maria & Steve Sanders) are planning for the full trip. Mark Krawatsky in his TI is doing the 3-day to Pavilion. Charlie Fast with his TI will do the trip if he can find time in his work schedule.

If you have any questions, post them here or drop me a line at kwellma at bellsouth dot net.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Keith,

Count me in for the Choko-Flamingo trip. I still need to figure out a shuttle. I have a truck that can carry two AI's.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joshua, that is terrific. If you will, please send an email to me at kwellma at bellsouth dot net. That way, it will allow me to coordinate things better.

I'm keeping track of people participating on the my "expedition" thread,
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&p=163451#p163451

I've added your name to the group, which brings it ti 5 AIs, 1TI for the whole trip, 1 TI for the 3-day trip, 1 maybe for the full trip.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's what I was considering regarding shuttling. My wife can drive down to Chokoloskee following me with her car, the weekend of the 15th and we'll get a motel in the area. I'm looking into booking the Parkway motel and Marina on Chokoloskee if it's available and not too expensive. On Sunday I'll unload my AI at whatever motel we're at and Yvonne will follow me to Flamingo visitor center where we'll drop off the truck and then return to Chokoloskee. I imagine it's ok to leave a truck in the parking lot for a week.

If anyone else needs a shuttle, we can share a ride back to Chokoloskee after you drop your vehicle off at Flamingo visitor center Sunday afternoon (January 15) around 3:00.

I was wondering approximately what time on Monday do you usually depart and will it be from the boat ramp on the left as you come across the bridge into Chokoloskee?

I'm looking forward to finally being able to go on one of these trips ! Thanks again Keith for planning these.

I liked that idea Polecat had for doing trips of all the EC checkpoints.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That will really help, Jim (FloridaRobot). It would seem logical for cuzican (Joshua Morgan) to join you on that shuttle. Joshua lives in Naples. How many people could you & Yvonne take back to Chok?

We launch from an opening in the mangroves about 300 yds north of the boat ramp--I think they charge $10 EACH to launch and land (thru an opening in the mangroves) at the marina.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jim,

Please count me in for your shuttle.

Thanks

Josh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok Josh .. we'll add you to the shuttle.

Keith, Yvonne drives a Hyundai Sonata so her car seats 4. Besides Josh, we could probably accomodate one more person.

We booked at the Parkway motel and Marina for the weekend ... $129 a night. Monday high tide is 8:12 am which is perfect for getting out as they said low tide it's all dry around the motel. The people that own the motel were very nice and when I asked about Totch Brown, they said his house is the yellow house on their corner. Totch Brown's books and DVD's of his life in the everglades are amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, Parkway Motel & Marina--it has been years since I was there. I don't believe they have a ramp, but they do have a great lift, which could just pick up your fully loaded boat and place it in water.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tiger Key Camping Trip, Feb 10-12, 2012; Paddle In (Sail In), Feb 11

I propose an AI/TI camping trip to Tiger Key on Feb 10-12, Friday to Sunday. This camping trip is a beginner trip—Tiger Key is only about 9 mi due west of the Everglades National Park headquarters in Everglades City. We would launch from Park headquarters and leave our cars parked there. Because of the tides, we would need to launch no later than 8:30 AM Friday. We would return to ENP Hqtrs about 3 pm Sunday. For those who want to combine this with a fishing day, we could stay an extra day.

Coincidental with the camping trip is Captain Wright’s Paddle-in (Sail-in) Saturday, Feb 11

Every year, Captain Charles Wright, Everglades Kayak Fishing in Chokoloskee, puts on a “Paddle In” which usually draws over 100 kayak fisherpersons. You can read about it here:
http://www.evergladeskayakfishing.com/ekf-events.htm

Two years ago, we had 4 AIs and a sea kayaker camped on Tiger Key. We then sailed over to the Paddle In, about 3 miles. Anyone is welcome. They serve brats, clam chowder, etc. They ask for a $10 donation, which they use for charitable purposes—however, even that is optional. It is a fun gathering, especially if you combine it with a camping trip. You can read about our camping trip at
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=120
Scroll down until you see Tiger Key, a Paddle-In, Fishing—an Everglades trip.

Capt. Wright does ask for people to RSVP him, so he knows how many people to prepare for. I would take care of RSVPing him, but would need to know how many of us are planning to do the trip.

My plan is to pick up the permit on Thursday, unless one of our group is staying in EC/Chok overnight before the trip—if so, they could get the permit.

Most of you probably do not know that we have a little competition going on with the Aussies about who can gather the most AI/TIs in one spot. Currently, because of our recent trip where we had 8 boats on Pavilion Key, we are tied for the record. Maybe we could beat it with this trip.

Set a record or not, please let me know if you plan to make this trip. It should be another fun one.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hope to be a TI owner this next week and would like to come along, I'll have a better handle on my status by Thursday. Coming down from Bonita and will rsvp if I can make it. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Bob,

Is the TI your first Hobie multi-hull boat? With the volume a TI has, this would be an easy camping trip for you.

Please send an email to me: kwellma at bellsouth dot net. I'll add your email to my S FL list of AI/TI owners.

Good luck on taking ownership of that TI.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next