Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased my AI way back in May 2007 (Hull No. CCMD34781607), so was an early UK adopter of the class. Recently, I ordered the FOC upgrade kits:

• Part No.81391002 Rudder Up/Down Line System '07-08.
• Part No. 81397001 "Balanced" Large sailing rudder for Twist-n-Stow.

A little plug for my nearest Hobie dealer – Cornwall Canoes – who, although I did not purchase my AI from them, dealt with my request immaculately.

This weekend, I set about the upgrade and all went well until I came to section 21 of the instructions. Having removed the nuts from the existing fitting, I tried to fix the supplied Harken H233 cheek block onto the exposed bolts, but found this to be impossible. The cause was immediately apparent, as the original cheek block on the starboard side of my AI, ahead of the main cross beam, is a Harken model H29 and significantly shorter than the H233, so the bolts/holes will not line up.

The solution is easy, all I have to do is to replace the H29 with H233, drill another hole and plug the unwanted hole. However, I wonder if Hobie were aware that some early models of the AI were fitted with the H29? Alternatively, do I have a ‘rogue’ fitting.

Finally, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to make various posts on a very wide variety of subjects. Almost my preferred bed-time reading :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bought my AI in April 2007. Hull no CMD3643A707. fitted the block you mention to the underside of the mainsheet block November 2007 and it went in fine. I cant see a number on the mainsheet block itself so I am just assuming its the one in the catalogue 2007-08 H233 cheek block. Yours does indeed sound like another size altogether.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Philip1el wrote:
I bought my AI in April 2007. Hull no CMD3643A707. fitted the block you mention to the underside of the mainsheet block November 2007 and it went in fine. I cant see a number on the mainsheet block itself so I am just assuming its the one in the catalogue 2007-08 H233 cheek block. Yours does indeed sound like another size altogether.

Thanks. the cheek block fitted to my AI is definitely a Harken H029 - it's black and all plastic. It all seems very odd, as every promotional picture of an AI that I look at has the H233 fitted, easy to distinguish as the H233 is all metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Grant,
I recently got my second AI :) -an 09, and comparing it to my 08 noticed this difference which may help you:
08 port block external screws

08 internal port block (identical to S/B block)

09 port block external screw and unused countersunk hole (not all the way through)

09 internal port block

09 internal S/B block
Both external S/B blocks are the same.

This is how it came straight from Hobie!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Stringy,

Great pictures. I have just done my homework and now know how to include some in my future posts.

Your picture of the internal port block (yellow hull) looks as though it is a Harken H029, secured with just one screw. I was fiddling around yesterday and derived a solution with the H029 on the outside and the H233 on the inside (both S/B) of the hull. Of course the rear bolt hole on the H233 can't be used, but the whole up/down thing works fine. If there are any problems with twisting etc. I can always drill another hole and fit second bolt to ensure rigidity. Of course, I could always completely reverse things and put the H233 on the outside and the H029 on the inside, that way my AI will match up with all the others I have seen. I will give things a water test and then decide.

Secondary question. When you pull the rudder down hard and lock it off in the cam cleat do you still use the locking bolt when sailing/paddling so that the rudder stays firmly down? The elasticity in the webbing, no matter how hard you cleat in the line, appears to allow a good deal of rudder up down movement.

I envy you your Southern Hemisphere weather and I am sure you will be out enjoying your AI (s) over the Christmas break. I may well take the plunge (hopefully not literally), but I will be fully kitted out in a dry suit as the water temperature around Devon is heading toward 7 Celsius! :cry:

Cheers

Grant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

grant I think after installing the new rudder kit the locking screw becomes a redundant feature, the play you feel is the safty factor for the rudder to kick up in the event of hitting a solid object rather than shear the rudder pin which is a whole new subject (never had one fail yet)

mm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Makenmend,

I look forward to trying it all out very soon.

We get some fantastic sailing in my local waters. The prevailing offshore winds are Westerly and Torbay - close to Torquay and Paignton - is beautifully sheltered even in wind speeds of 20 kts plus, meaning flat water and attendant high speeds. Very wet and exhilarating. However, I really don't want to loose directional control, as that is sure to lead to a disaster.

Thanks again to everyone.

Grant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Grant
know the area quite well, lived in Bristol for a while,some really nice places to sail. Enjoy and be safe

mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Makenmend and Grant. Good Earth is a great tool to get a feel for where everyone who posts on this forum lives but nothing like some photos posted of your areas. How about Makenmend starts up a thread with a few pics of your local area?..Captain Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

I had an early 07 boat that had the same problem as Grant but I did the same to solve it. I went to west marine and found another H233 drilled a new hole and sealed the old one. So, Grant you are not a lone with the odd AI.

Glenn