Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast bracing adjustments
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Would it be possible for someone from Hobie (Matt?) to give some instructions on how the diagonal adjustable supports should be setup and what to lookout for. I had a look at the technical section and it is mentioned in passing regarding the retention clip, that my AI doesn't appear to have, I have a lever that locks the mast down.
I found mine to be finger tight when I collected the boat (secondhand) and the locnut at the foot was also very loose. I do not have any paperwork with it and cannot find any technical notes about it anywhere on the forum.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
:)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I adjust mine, so the bottom of the mast spool doesn't rub against the xbar assembly, but also has less than 1/2 the width of the reefing line, so the line can't easily go under the spool. Make sure both sides are even, then tighten it all up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the advice.
I am worried about expanding the bars too far and putting unnecessary strain on the hull and deck etc by literally jacking them apart! Presumably their role is to help with the sideways loading caused by the mast?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think you have to worry about that. It just changes the shape of the hull there (taller/thinner vs shorter/wider). Getting a nice even 1/8" gap is pretty easy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just been looking at the setup in pictures as I don't have the boat here. I now believe the diagonals are there to help re enforce the hull where the mast heel sits. Their role is to stop the heel ripping the base away from the hull. The top is well supported by the crossbar assembly which will provide a strong leverage point with the bottom of the mast trying to tear away from the peg and nyloc at the base.
I don't know if I am right about this, it would be helpful to understand how the design works.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Yes, the "V" brace supports the mast loads. It can be adjusted to draw the dimension of the cup vs crossbar / furler bearings and mast lock together. Best is minimal vertical movement of the mast. Just low enough to allow the mast lock to engage.

I was looking for printed specs on this, but our online version of the assembly manual is outdated. I am working on this, but the engineer who has the files is out for the week.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Matt, I appreciate your input.

It is quite difficult coming into the scene as a newbie with absolutely no knowledge of the product. What would appear to be a straightforward point can be quite vexing from the outside.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

reconlon wrote:
I adjust mine, so the bottom of the mast spool doesn't rub against the xbar assembly, but also has less than 1/2 the width of the reefing line, so the line can't easily go under the spool. Make sure both sides are even, then tighten it all up.

I just went through this learning curve and process with mine. I came to the same place with it... the thing about the reefing line not being able to get under the spool is important, especially getting bounced around in a chop.