Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

finally, after years of wishing, months of waiting, and large amounts of shipping costs and import duties, our new TI arrived today.

In the little parts bag that was wrapped up with the manual, etc, are some parts that I have been unable to find mention of in the manual. Well, the nylon nuts and bolts are mentioned as being on the parts list on page 4 of the assembly manual, but I can't figure out what they are for. No other mention.

And no mention at all of the gray plastic rod.

can anyone tell me what these things are for?

I figure the two plastic triple tequila shot glass looking things are scupper plugs...but these other things....??

also. boat came without any mention of how to install trampolines. are they self evident? Anything i need to know to figure those out?

hoping for a shakedown cruise tomorrow if i get the trailer together.
thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep,

Long grey thing = spare rudder pin.
Plastic bolts = spare shear bolts for the aka brace locking the aka's out to the side.

Note that the bolts are plastic so they break before the expensive parts do in the event of a collision. Earlier models they were attached to the aka brace but in the event of the main bolt shearing the whole brace was likely to fall into the water and never seen again. A common "mod" was to remove the spare bolt and replace it with some bungee or simlar to prevent loss of the brace. Hobie have taken this on board and made it standard.

Fitting tramps should be as straight forward as sliding the forward aka through the sleeve in the leading edge of the tramp then cliping the clips on at the rear and pulling tight. Make sure any cutouts fit over the aka knuckle. Most likely a case of if it looks neat and tidy it's probably fitted right. Check the pockets are right way up too. Guess it's possible to fit them to the wrong side.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

thank you, sir.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've run across another question. We bought the trailex trailer for the TI. We got the two white plastic TI cradles. The trailer instructions say to refer to Hobie instructions on mounting the cradles. Hobie sent no instructions.

I can see I need to fit at least two of the t-bolts into each cross member on the trailer to attach the cradles. This will mean that the t-bolts stick up through the pre-drilled holes in the cradles. However the cradles are lined with a soft material to protect the hull. they do not have any holes in them to be able to put the nuts onto the threaded t-bolts.

Is there a trick to this, or am I supposed to cut holes in the rug material lining the bunks, or cradles?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gringo,

I cut mine when I installed them. If you cut a small X above the hole it sort of closes up after you install the bolts.

You talk about a t-bolt. I don't know what they are. I used 1/4 inch bolts and fender washers with the head of the bolt on the top so there is no chance of the end of the bolt sticking up too high and damaging my boat. My trailer is the older galvanized model not aluminum so I don't know if you need to use special bolts.

Good luck!

2008 AI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

thanks, Jerry. I might do that, as I can't see any other way to do it. I gotta admit that as much as I like Hobie boats (this is our second kayak along with our i14t) their documentation has some content issues.

The aluminum trailer comes with a bunch of t bolts. The heads slide into slots on four sides of the single, extruded, aluminum beam that makes up the trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay. Whew. Got it all together. I think I got everything installed, and working. didn't install the "anchor trolley kit" (what was she thinking?) yet cause I am just not sure I even want the three pound anchor on board, and i am not real keen to start drilling holes in a new boat.

But still, some questions.

Jerry, did you end up with the rear cross member/cradle 8.5 inches from the aft end of that trailer beam?

And anyone know what the two eyes on each ama are for? there's a stainless one near the handle, and a plastic one at the aft end. I am thinking the stainless one might be to rig a barber outhall.

Should I be asking these in another section?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gringo,

I have an entirely different trailer than you. Mine is a different brand and it's made of galvanized steel so you don't want to try to compare my measurements to yours.

Do your instructions say you shouldn't put your trailer in salt water? I'm curious because someone told me their's did I was surprised because what good is a boat trailer that you can't put in the water.

I think the stainless eyes were put there because Hobie thought they would come out with a fore sail for the boat. I'm not sure what the aft ones were installed for but a lot of people use them to add a line to controll sail shape when running downwind.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gringo - If you think or see of anything else you may need, let me know. I have a Hobie dealer a few miles from me and certainly wouldn't mind fetching a few things for you and bringing them down (non-hobie as well ...)

Parts from Hobie may have to be ordered though which usually takes a week - not a problem if you let me know shortly. One thing I can think of (and they should have in stock) is a few more spare rudder pins.

Cheers - cant wait to hear about your first sail !

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PassWind wrote:
Gringo - If you think or see of anything else you may need, let me know. I have a Hobie dealer a few miles from me and certainly wouldn't mind fetching a few things for you and bringing them down (non-hobie as well ...)

Parts from Hobie may have to be ordered though which usually takes a week - not a problem if you let me know shortly. One thing I can think of (and they should have in stock) is a few more spare rudder pins.

Cheers - cant wait to hear about your first sail !

Thanks. do the rudder pins break? I have one spare that came with the boat. Looks to me like that would be a good place for stainless steel rod.

I got the boat together last night, sail up etc. in the driveway. Today I found some tie down straps locally, and had a heck of a time finding a receiver hitch with enough drop to get from the back of the Land Rover down to the height of that aluminum Trailex trailer hitch. It's only 14" off the ground. BUT I found one. Probably the only one on the island.

So I got everything ready to go, and today it blew and rained all day. Tomorrow (Sat) is supposed to be beautiful weather, near 80 degrees and 8-10 knots of wind. Perfect. We plan to make a day of it.

Does anyone know the story with the roller on the Trailex trailer? Instructions say put it on the back for the AI, but up on the front for the TI. Well, in the photos, and in reality, where they say to put it up near the hitch it doesn't do anything. doesn't even contact the hull. Seems it would do more good on the back of the trailer, but I followed the instructions. I think these trailers could use some fine tuning.

dosjers, I didn't see anything about not using the trailer in salt water. I admit I didn't read all the stuff on the CD that came with it instead of a manual. Real annoying. I don't have a computer terminal in the yard where I put this together. I am going to try to find some bearing buddies for the hubs, because salt water is all I got around here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Does anyone know the story with the roller on the Trailex trailer? Instructions say put it on the back for the AI, but up on the front for the TI.

For the TI the roller is forward (contacts the keel just aft of the bow) and must be used to support the long bow. Strap down the bow to the roller / trailer for constant contact with the roller. This stiffens the entire trailer and load.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gringo wrote:

Thanks. do the rudder pins break? I have one spare that came with the boat. Looks to me like that would be a good place for stainless steel rod.

They are supposed to break first before the expensive bits. :D Certainly a stainless steel rod would work, but you might be up for a new rudder or hull if you hit something solid with the rudder locked down.

On the AI the spare rudder pin can be stowed under the hatch covers. Some recommend stowing them under the centre hatch rather than the rear as it makes it easier to get to out on the water if required.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the info. Chances of us smacking a coral head or similar here are fairly high.

Back to the trailer roller....So, if I were to come up with an aluminum support I could bolt to the trailex beam up near the bow, I could move the roller to the back of the trailer where it could function as a roller and not so much as just a stopper?

I am thinkiing a "t' shaped aluminum bracket with a couple holes for a cinch strap, padded, that would also prevent the boat from sliding forward in a sudden stop.

(added: okay, it's a warm, sunny, calm Saturday morning on Providenciales island, and I got it saddled up and we are just about to head out on our first shakedown. 78 deg. F, wind NNE at 5 kts. Perfect, n'est-ce pas?)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gringo wrote:
(added: okay, it's a warm, sunny, calm Saturday morning on Providenciales island, and I got it saddled up and we are just about to head out on our first shakedown. 78 deg. F, wind NNE at 5 kts. Perfect, n'est-ce pas?)

Good luck on your first outing. Don't forget the pics... :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It was absolutely awesome. We only covered about 12 miles, but for a very first shakedown cruise, it was fantastic. After a year and a half crowded on the i14t, Dooley the Demented loves the speed, and the room, and most of all, the tramps.

"Nice upgrade!"

So I guess I could say that the very first Hobie TI in the entire Turks and Caicos Islands is now "Dooley authorized".

The weather was perfect, except we only had about 6kts of wind. Took dozens of photos and some short videos. We realize this is all "old-hat" to you guys, but its pretty cool to us. Will probably load them all onto the blog once I crop them and write some captions if anyone is interested in yet some more TI photos.

We love this boat. We have great plans for it here.