Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi-

I am in the middle of the rudder T handle upgrade and have a question I'm hoping someone can answer. In step 4, it says:

"Open the rear hatch on the kayak and pull the up and down control lines all the way to back of the hull. You will be able to see where the longer lengths of the up and down control lines were tied to a section of line that is coming from the rudder (see arrows). Un-tie the joint of the two lines and remove the long lengths of line."

However, on my AI, the up/down control lines from the rudder up to the old controls appears to be continuous lines. Based on the pictures in the upgrade kit, it also appears that the plastic tubes through which the lines run should only be approx 1 1/2 feet long or so and extend only long enough to stick out the rear hatch when you pull them out. The tubes on my AI are several feet longer and go all the way up to the old control.

I'm hesitant to just cut the tubes and shorten the lines to make it work without knowing the right lengths. Am I missing something? Do I have the wrong kit?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The better kit had new tubes and lines. Then new tubes cut down most of the water from entering through the tubes. It sounds like you have a first year AI like I had. It had the long tubes, but didn't need them (didn't help). I just cut the tubes when I did the first upgrade, but new replacement tubes would be the best.

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Bob. Assuming I just use the kit I have and cut the tubes and the lines to fit, do you have any recomendations as to the size I should be cutting the tubes and lines?

I'm not as concerned with the tubes, but I'm not sure where to cut the lines. The new lines that came with the kit have stretch in them, and I'm just not sure how much tension should be on them when they are connected to the old lines.

Thanks

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Make them long enough to catch in the holders on the sides of the rear hatch.

I made mine as short as I could get away with, because it brings the adjustment point closer to the back hatch (where the lines are tied). You can't tie them any closer than the full line play (up/down line amount) from the end of the tubes. Even with keeping the tubes short, where you tie the lines is about 12" forward of the rear hatch.

I like my lines just right so the amount of "Down" line cleated is the minimum to do the job and the "Up" and "Down" lines start raising/lowering the rudder within an inch of pulling it.

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Mark! :wink:
I don't know if you have read the posts regarding the original upgrades? If you haven't you can find it here:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8188&start=15
I found it very helpful with lots of tips to make the job easy. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. I did read it previously and just missed the reference to the tube/line lengths. I was going to try it today but the wind was too nice so I just locked down the rudder and went sailing instead :D I appreciate all the help.

Mark