Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:56 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Parts 79531001 XBr FWS ASSY and
8030781 SOC CAP Screw

I had noticed they were lose last time.

So got out the loctite , redid them, and tightened up.

Second trip out I had just completed about a 5 mile run in a moderate 10 knot wind and the buggar got lose again, sliding side to side.

Fortunately I was close to home., and had furled the sail to bottom fish. Took mast sail down and pedalled in.

What's going on here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

Better Loc tite? Not sure what could be happening. Are the fastener inserts still tight in the hull? "V" Brace tight?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:35 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Will check all of those tomorrow.

Great minds think alike. Or at least your checkoff list is about the same I was thinking about. Just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've pulled that xbar a couple times in the last 2 months and replaced it w/o problem, so it does not seem like it is a problem w/ the xbar & cap screws--they work fine on my boat. I have not used loctite on them. Some situation on your boat must be loosening them.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I replaced the front & rear xbars and nearly couldn't get the soc cap screws loose. They had been on for a year and I suspect corrosion made them stick. Used a socket wrench with an allen attachment to break'em loose. I used all new replacement soc cap screws and threw out the old ones.

I was afraid of putting loctite on the new screws - worried I would never get them out if I had to do any work on the xbars in the future. So far none of them have loosed up.

Debri falls into the holes once you remove the screws - mainly aluminum corrosion. So I was carefull to clean tha brass threads in the hull with a tiny wire brush then blow them out with compressed air. Maybe the screw is bottoming out and/or compressing debri in the screw hole - so while you belive the screw to be tight it is not holding the brace. So check the screw depth ect.

Anyway just a thought,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:26 am 
Hobie Team Member

Well I cleaned all the holes out as best I could. The inserts appeared OK. I used a razor blade and tooth brush for the threads on the soc cap screws which were really clogged with crap.

I made sure the X piece was correctly positioned with three screws down medium. I then applied liberal loctite to the 4th and screwed it in tight.

Then backed out one of the semi set screws, applied loctite, and screwed it down, etc. Felt this made sure I was lined up right each time and loctite didn't dry out before I drove screw home.

The next day the yak handled a nice 10-12 knot breeze making 4.5+ knots on a run out to a FAD almost 6 miles off the coast. And back at almost the same speed.

Except for the proverbial leaks no problems. The X piece held firm. I'll be watching it carefully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AlohaDan wrote:
... the threads on the soc cap screws which were really clogged with crap.

Exactly. The salt water reaction on 2 dissimilar metals. The threads on my soc cap scews were so hopelessly clogged I gave up trying to clean them. The new ones from Ace Hardware were Stainless and a perfect match they & were pretty cheap ~50cents each.

Mine are holding fine w/o loctite so I don't believe you will have any more problems.