Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased 2 Hobie AI's. After about 10 outings each the rudder control handle failed the same way on both. It seems the set screw mount works its way out of the plastic handle over time. Once the set screw holder pushes out the handle falls off and the control rod pops down into the hull. At this point the set screw will no longer hold and I suppose the only fix is to get a new handle. This design does not seem very robust. Seems like it would be better to have a pin that would attach through the control arm and the handle be made of something more sturdy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Rudder up/down control? This was changed several years ago to a through-bolt and then to up/down lines in 2007. If this is the up / down control... all AIs are eligible for a free upgrade to the pull T handle/line system

Refer to the Adventure Island Tech Notes for this and other details: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5958

If this is for steering... this is not a normal occurrence. Possibly you are steering past the rudder stop? This load could force the brass insert out of the handle.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is the steering handle. I have a picture but I don't see how to post. Both boats handles failed the same way with in a week of each other. Both brass inserts were forced out of the handle. Normal use within the turning radius alloted.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Wierd. What vintage are the boats? Serial numbers? Another issue can be over tensioning the set screw. That will force out the brass insert. Maybe factory or even the dealer could have done that I suppose.

In any case... not normal. Report to your dealer for replacement handles at no charge. Sorry.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Handles are on order from the dealer. Boats are vintage May 2010. I don't have the Serial Numbers handy. I will post later. I can see that over tightning the Set screw could push out the Brass insert, but both boats came out of the box with the handles in place. And I did not even know there was a set screw until the Handle popped off. I will be carefull not to over tighten when I replace. I think I might add a drop of lock tight to the set screw. I am concerned that it will work that insert out again since the the set screw fits in to a concave hole and not into a straight round hole. I'm surprised that you have not had this issue on other boats. I think a better design would be to have a larger metal handle that had a pin going through a larger rod that attached to the rudder control lines. My 2 cents.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:39 am 
Site Admin

This set screw system has been in place since the mid 90's without many issues, but a change such as you describe was included in the 2010 Tandem Islands. Coming to more Mirage models in 2011.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Could I retrofit a Tandem Handle into the AI's I have?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

Not possible due to the longer handle (it won't fit). Parts for retrofits on other models (shorter handles) would become available after production starts for the new model year. Usually takes a while for the factory to be stocked enough to offer as spares. Maybe late fall. The newer system will require a handle and a new internal crank at the minimum. May also require re-routing control lines internally.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Received the replacement Handles and replaced . Tested on land by moving rudder through full arc back and forth and after about 30 repetitions , I could see the brass inset start to push out of the plastic. Rather than have these fail on open water I drilled a hole through the shaft of the rudder control rod. I used a #21 tap drill bit that made a hole diameter so that a 5/32 stainless steel bolt could fit though. Slid the bolt completely through the Handle and rod and attached a stainless steel locking nut to the other end. applied silicon to both ends. Sailed boats for two days without issues. Hope this will last until Hobie comes up with a retro fit. While re-running the rudder lines I noticed that they both rub against at bottom of a screw holding the back left eyelet in the cargo area. I am afraid that eventually this will cause the rudder line to fail. I did put a dab of silicon sealer on the bolt end and will check on how it wears. This was true on both of my Hobie AI's.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:11 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

bomad wrote:
I noticed that they both rub against at bottom of a screw holding the back left eyelet in the cargo area. I am afraid that eventually this will cause the rudder line to fail.
A plastic sleeve over the screw should eliminate that possibility. This one is from some old rudder line tubing:

8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,
Sorry, but I don't find the AI rudder steering handle/set screw issue "wierd" at all as I have experienced the same problem. As a matter of fact, I had to take my AI into the local area Hobie Dealer today and they fixed it for me. Apparently, it wasn't the first time they had seen and fixed this "weak" design. Is there a retro plan by Hobie to "fix" this issue? Thanks!

Klondike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

Not until recently have we heard of this on a steering handle and very few claims still... no "retrofit" plan would be in motion for something this uncommon. If there is an issue, it would be associated to a molding problem.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,
OK, thanks for your reply. However, if it happens, again, I will post the issue, again. Also, I encourage any/all other AI owners to post a description if they have/had this problem, too!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had a rudder control handle pop off yesterday (8/10) after about 10 trips. New 2010 AI. Build date 4/2010. Luckily I purchased a spare before going on vacation thanks to these posts. Will let dealer know.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,
As I said previously, "Sorry, but I don't find the AI rudder steering handle/set screw issue "wierd" at all as I have experienced the same problem."

Klondike