Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've noticed on my new AI that when I look up at my sail, about 70% of the time either batten will appear to be 'bowed' and as a result the sail shape looks 'curved over' from the top (hard to explain but I didn't have my camera with me). I can't imagine that's an efficient airfoil. It almost looks like the batten was too long, but the dealer put it in the sail pocket anyway or somesuch. Has anyone else had a similar experience? It also doesn't appear to matter whether I'm on a port or starboard tack. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Overtightened batten tie down line I would guess. Or it's not seating correctly in the plastic cap at the base of the batten.

Nothing serious. The bow may work itself out as the line gives a little over time.

Why not reinstall the batten, retie it yourself and learn how to do that quick repair? Some day you will you need to do it for real.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is this on an AI or TI? I tighten my AI battens TIGHT! But on my TI, it was too tight and distorted the sail. I had to loosen it a bit and it's fine now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I seat the TI battens firmly, but not to the point where they bow the sail without any wind load.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I learnt something on the weekend re the TI sail battens. With the longest batten I have been experiencing a horrible reverse bend (ie. to windward of the sail). This occurs in wind +10kts (ie. when the mast starts to bend). The local Hobie rep came for a sail and after playing around with settings, pulled the batten from the sail & laughed. The batten was a 4mm batten, not the thicker batten (6mm I think) that's supposed to be used in a TI sail! (I'll pick up a new batten next weekend).

I'm not convinced with these sails that there is any need to place much tension on the batten at all. Just enough to remove the wrinkles & that's all. Any thoughts?

2011 Hobie TI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a TI can anyone tell me how thick the battens should be, my sail is bowing inward as well :?:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My understanding is the long one is about 50% larger diameter than the two shorter ones.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have just picked up my new sail batten (the long one), and it's double the thickness of the original. The new batten is 10mm diameter, whereas the batten it replaced was only 5mm diameter, (ie. same diameter as the 2 smaller battens). I haven't been for a sail yet, but I'm expecting this will solve my reverse bow problem.

I also suspect that there may be a few other TI's out there that have the wrong batten.

2011 Hobie TI

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Rob,
checked mine as soon as I read your post and I to have all 5mm wide battens. The other thing is the week before last I contacted my dealer because the second batten cap had put 2 holes in my sail when it furled up really tightly. I have a feeling that if I had the right sized batten to start with this may not have happened.
I was coming in because it started getting real messy the wind was gusting from all directions. I had the sail furled in almost all the way with the wind behind me pushing to shore when the sail unfurled and bagged right out and I was heading for mangrove trees, of course I had to furl the sail in really fast and becuase of the wind filling the sail it was really hard to do so. I noticed the sail was really tight when I tried to lash it with the cord and found the cord was way too long as in it wrapped around the sail one and a half times. At that point I massaged the sail to loosen the tightness of the wrap on the it so the cord would work.
At home I hung the sail in the shed to allow it to dry this is when I found the holes in the sail. The sail had wrapped so tightly the second batten end cap pierced two layers of the sail and left a visable dint in the third layer. The end cap is really sharp on the inside edge and I think it angled enough under pressure to do the damaged.
I am waiting on a response from Hobie via my dealer, I am wondering if this would have still happened with the thicker batten installed :?: :?: :?: :?:
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... yak101.jpg
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... yak110.jpg

I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else
Russell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A 10mm batten? :shock:
Matt, can you verify this? :?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My sail bends in also. I looked part number up in catalog and the long batten is twice the thickness of the others 3/16in vs 3/8in. My battens are all the same thickness. My boat is out of warranty but this should be replaced by Hobie. How can I accomplish this?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

deacm,

I would go & talk with your local dealer. My dealer did not hesitate to replace mine when he realised that it was the wrong size.

I now wonder how many TIs have been shipped with the wrong sized battens?

2011 Hobie TI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

88998521 Batten #1 (1/4" 186")
88998531 BATTEN CAP 1/4"
88998522 Batten #2 (3/16" 42 1/2")
88998523 Batten #3 (3/16" 39 1/2")
91011001 BATTEN CAP 3/16"

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I dug out my vernier callipers to measure the battens in my sail. The smaller battens are 4.8mm in diameter:

and the new long batten is 9.6mm in diameter

2011 Hobie TI

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Some early versions of the TI sail were delivered with the thinner battens. As far as I know, all dealers were provided with the thicker replacement battens at that time and if not, they are readily available regardless of the warranty status. Contact your dealer. They will contact our warranty department.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)