Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We started having severe problems with the rudder last weekend when the "Up" cable jumped the sheave in the rear seat position (see: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=28316), got it repaired by the dealer in time for us to go on a four-day trip this weekend.

This weekend we had a completely different problem - we had total failure of the rudder to turn to starboard on Friday (7/30); it would turn to port just fine, but not starboard - even when using both hands and the tiller lever was against the stop. Winds were 12-14 knots at the time, in a protected channel with 1-2 inch chop. I cycled the rudder up and down several times, tried it with the sail furled, completely out and partially furled to no avail. I had to use our paddle to steer for approximately 4 miles out of 10 on our return trip home that day.

Yesterday (7/31), making sure nothing was interfering with the control lines below the deck by not putting anything down there, we had the same thing happen again - in winds of 0-5 knots and waves of 6 inches or less. Again, total failure to steer to starboard even in light conditions. We took videos of what was happening, but can't post them from our hotel.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

Last edited by whosyerbob on Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry for continuing the post in a reply, but I'm doing this from my iPhone and the response box isn't acting right.

Anyway - we decided to troubleshoot the problem in the parking lot this morning before taking the TI out on a 20+ mile voyage. We were replicating "in-water" conditions on the rudder by giving it resistance between our knees (lots of power when moving it to the left and very little to the right). The rudder popped out of the groove each time we turned it to starboard, and while we were making a video of this behavior - the rudder steering line snapped. That was the end of the trip.

We are now going to do some sight-seeing by car for the rest of the day, then take the TI back to the dealer tomorrow to have it fixed again. I must say that I'm grateful that the rudder steering line snapped in the parking lot rather than during the 20+ mile voyage we were planning today. Our Hobie dealer, Backyard Boats, has gone beyond the pale to make sure things are right and I fully expect they'll do the same for this.

My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:47 am 
Site Admin

That is a bummer.

Check for a burr in the stainless at the point where the steering line enters the drum nut.

Check the rudder locking position to be sure the rudder is not springing back when lowered by hand. If so... loosen the drum bolt a little. Should sit tight against the housing with no down line tension applied.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep, I had the port-side rudder line snap at the base of the drum on the 2nd outing. I suspected a burr in the stainless and that's what I told my dealer-line looked like at had been "sheared" through. They replaced the line it has been without issue since (at least so far) and I check it often.

Good luck, and don't lose faith! I love my Hobie TI, and even though it is really heavy I would marry it if I could (as long as I wouldn't have to carry it across the threshold)!

--j--

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tspbrady; some may say you do carry her across the threshold, as you put her in the water :!:
Congradulations on your new marriage :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thank you for the reply, Matt - I've forwarded the info onto the guys at Backyard Boats, since they still have our TI in their yard.

My sailing blog
Our sailing videos