Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mark,

I have always sailed my TI from the rear cockpit which may be why my sheet is wearing more than other's.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Perhaps it is the angle of the line? I have sailed both front and back - the back started fraying immediately. I will keep an eye on it to see if it gets any worse.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captain-max wrote:
Mitch, remember that this is after just 7-8 trips out. Either there is something wrong with the sheet itself - unlikely, but not impossible - or there is somewhere that's chafing it.

Yeah, that's the same for me. Ours had a surprising amount of fraying after our first sail in heavy winds, but it appears to have stopped - or at least moderated - for now. I know that some lines can resist fraying better than others, either due to quality or material differences.

My folks had a 26 foot monohull for the better part of two decades and we had the same issue with the jib lines on it. The mainsheet was fine, but the jib lines required close attention due to the fraying. What we found over the years - after replacing the jib lines on a regular basis - was that the cam cleats were the culprit, especially when the jib was under heavy load. We also found that slipperier lines would chaff more than lines that weren't as slick feeling when they were brand new.

I think the same thing is happening with the TI mainsheet. When we first got it, the new lines were so slippery and harsh feeling that I had to wear sailing gloves every time we went out in anything over 5 knots, as my hands would get torn up by the line. Now that it's frayed, it's easier on my hands and I don't have to wear the gloves. And as I noted above, the fraying seems to have moderated for now.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've probably sailed equal amounts from the front and back and my front mainsheet has no fraying. However, my rear mainsheet has severe fraying after only 3-4 times out. I will note that I was doing a lot more trimming of the sail when I was sitting in the rear seat. However, I sailed from the front seat at least 5 times and it does not show the same effects.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The May 2010 issue of Practical Sailor has an article on cam cleats like those used on the TI ("Eight Sailboat Cam Cleats Tested on Doomsday Device" - you can buy a PDF version here: http://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/36_5/features/Sailboat-Cam-Cleats_5916-1.html) and they note the necking, wear and fraying of the lines caused by the eight different cam cleats that they tested.

Very informative. It was interesting that different levels of wear could occur with cams from the same company.

My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have looked closely at the position of the rear cam cleat and the turn block that feeds the line to it. It is a much more severe angle than the front set of hardware.

If you take a fresh piece of line, pull it tight and run it back and forth through the blocks a dozen times you will see visible wear on the line. The position of the turn block keeps the line tight against the outboard cam which is where I think the wear is coming from.

I thought about adding another block in front of the cam cleat to redirect the line but I'm not sure if the deck of the boat can handle the load.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was thinking the same thing.

What if the cam was rotated to the right and down say 45 to the right. Would that reduce the tension?
Perhaps a swivel cam?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not sure how you could rotate the cam because it is attached to the aka brace.

I hope Hobie will look into this and figure out a solution.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wonder if adding a fairlead to the cleat would help, same as the furling line cleat has?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had my TI out about 6 times and I have the same kind of wear on the main sheet coming from the rear seat cam. Almost no wear from the front seat, but I usually sail from the rear seat. I thought it was excessive wear also, but it is easier to hold now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My sheet has really begun to fray a *lot* more in the past two weeks - more like shredding now. I've got little pieces hanging off, not just fuzz. This weekend promises to have a lot of wind with heavy loads (Hurricane Earle is blasting through), so I'll post a photo at the end of our sailing to show just how bad it has become.

My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mitch,

You might want to take the sheet off and reverse the endes. If you were through the outer jacket on the line you'll be done sailing until you replace it.

It would make a good picture but might ruin your weekend of sailing.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's what my main sheet looks like now. The external sheath has not yet been breached, but it's close. Sorry for the old coloring, but the shot was taken in low light and the colors got skewed.

My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mitch,

Welcome to the club. I just wish I could find a sheet the color of yours.

Have you tried removing it and installing it reversed? It might give you more wear because the shredding is coming from the rear jam cleat.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mitch, I've ordered a fairlead to add to the aft mainsheet cleat. It's the part used on the furling line cleat up forward. I think this should reduce the fraying.

Since you and Cindy love the wind, you might want to consider changing your sheet to the 3:1 system, which would reduce load on the cleat, at the expense of having a 50% more sheet to haul in though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next