Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Livewell Problems
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I acquired a Hobie Livewell from a friend that is about 2 years old and used maybe 3 times. It's been sitting in his garage for about a year untouched. I've tried to charge the 6V battery it came with and I get nothing when I try to turn the pump on. I'm not sure if it's the battery because it sat so long with no charge, or the Charger itself. I'm leaning towards the charger because I've noticed the light mechanism on it never comes on when I plug it into the wall. Is this light supposed to come on when charging? Or does it come on when the battery is charged? Anybody with experience on these Hobie Livewells please chime in. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

surfdude wrote:
I acquired a Hobie Livewell from a friend that is about 2 years old and used maybe 3 times. It's been sitting in his garage for about a year untouched. I've tried to charge the 6V battery it came with and I get nothing when I try to turn the pump on. I'm not sure if it's the battery because it sat so long with no charge, or the Charger itself. I'm leaning towards the charger because I've noticed the light mechanism on it never comes on when I plug it into the wall. Is this light supposed to come on when charging? Or does it come on when the battery is charged? Anybody with experience on these Hobie Livewells please chime in. Thanks for the help.

My input here is general advice re the modern smart chargers which do not cope with absolutely flat batteries and will not charge them. The battery is probably still able to be charged by simply putting it across in parallel with another battery for a few minutes to get some charge back into it, then letting the charger do its work as intended.....Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The red light should turn on. It wil blink faster and faster as the battery becomes more charged.