Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 'Click & Go' Problems
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Both Mickey and I had problems with our locking systems for the Mirage Drive last weekend. During the thick of moderate weather sailing both of us had our drive system jam causing the drive to be in-operative.
The problem is caused when one of the locking pins is inadvertently pushed backward by a foot while the other pin remains in the lock position. The drive is continued to be used causing the uncaptured side to ride up. The resulting 'wobbling' becomes noticable and an attempt to engage the locking arm whilst still not properly captured leads to a jam. This is not the first time it has happened to me but I can't speak for Mickey on that one. It takes some conciderable effort to release and then left us wondering when it was going to do it again.
Our first thoughts to rectify this is to use a small diameter shock cord with loops to trap the arms and held forward by this cord being stretched to the black plastic 'D' bolt at the front of the cockpit.
Stronger springs by Hobie in the future would likely cure the problem.
I remember ChrisJ had simiar problems and called them 'Click 'n Jam' or something similar.
Are others experiencing this problem and if so what is your fix?..Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's happened to me a couple of times too - only when sailing and there's lots of action happening :o :shock:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've not had this issue yet, but I do find it frustrating to get it to click in....I had to try multiple times. Glad I read about this before trying, I realized I needed it to go in perfectly so I tried some different angles and stuff and got it to drop in eventually. I will say though, that once locked in it seemed very tight with no wobble. I think I would rather have a little frustration up front than the system with the cam shafts though. I would just constantly be worried about the shafts cracking and it being past the warranty period.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some members seem to have quite a bit of problems with the click
& go mechanism. My click&go has been 'bullet-proof' from the day
I got it. Reading the forum about the 'jamming', I have tried to get
mine to jam without success. Unclick one side and tilt the other and either
the mechanism wouldn't engage as expected or it simply re-engaged.

My drive well cassette plug clicks in and out without jamming even though
the black plastic drum axles do not have very high tolerances.
I didn't like the 1/4" to 1/2" gap the cassette plug has when in the well,
I still got quite a bit of up splash around the plug. So I put some closed cell insulation foam strips (self adhesive) around the perimeter of the plug.
This made the plug even more uneven and stiff when inserting or taking out. Yet the click&go still worked like a gem!
Might the jamming be related to the year of manufacture, the number of times of insertion/extraction of the Mirage drive or possibly an 'aging' factor in the locking mechanism?
My hull is essentially a new 2009 model manufactured late in 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Might the jamming be related to the year of manufacture, the number of times of insertion/extraction of the Mirage drive or possibly an 'aging' factor in the locking mechanism?
My hull is essentially a new 2009 model manufactured late in 2008.

Both pirate & my boats are 2009 models manufactured late in 2008.
I don't think there is anything different between our boats and yours and we have only had them for less than two months.
We were both out sailing last weekend and I noticed pirate had a problem. When I went over to investigate, he said his mirage drive was jammed. Mine was OK at the time but I decided to check mine and noticed that the left side locking mechanism was not in the forward position, so I clicked it forward. Then I discovered I had exactly the same problem as pirate and it was extremely difficult to unjam it :shock:
I believe that I had unwittingly jammed the drive by activating the locking mechanism with the shaft seated above the click lock, thereby causing the whole thing to be skewif. I finally managed to unjam it by forcing the right side lock to unlock.
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:55 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

When inserting the Drive, jerk it from side to side once to make sure it is solidly locked. You can unlock either side by dragging your heel back over it. When done on purpose it makes for a very fast removal of the Drive (you can even lift the Drive out with your feet if you're so inclined). When done accidentally on one side The Drive will eventually jamb as you now know.

These over-center springs are designed to hold the lever in whatever position it is placed in -- that's what makes the insertion and extraction so quick and easy. The spring only needs to hold the lever positively in position until tripped and already has quite a bit more tension than is actually needed for that purpose.

The Adventure / AI has the shallowest drivewell so the levers ride higher than other models. I haven't accidentally tripped a lever (yet) but have managed to jamb the Drive by screwing around pedaling with the Drive unlocked. But I used to often inadvertently unscrew the old starboard cam lock on the previous system when sailing -- this is a huge improvement as it allows your foot more room without interference among other things.

If the Drive unlocks, you can usually feel it rock for awhile before it jambs, once you become sensitive to the feel. You can then relock it with your heel, verify the lock by wiggling your feet and you're good to go without even leaning forward. BTW, if the Drive does jamb and you can't clear it on the water, the Drive will still operate on a restricted basis to get you back if necessary.

It's a small cockpit -- you have to be careful where you put your feet and which end of the mainsheet to grab after setting it down! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Roadrunner for sharing your wealth of experience. I had a careful look at the locking system today, which is quite a nice design with those over center springs. The plastic covers are nice and round and foot friendly, but do not lend themselves easily to be tied forward. The only way I can think of to improve the sysem would be to beef up the springs making it more difficult to inadvertantly trigger the release. For the reasons you say it is probably not an issue in any other Hobie kyak but it seems to be a bit of an issue with the our Hobies if you are out there sailing in 'adventurous' waters and your feet are moving about. I have a couple of thoughts on shrouding the release arms and will give it further thought...Pirate :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My heel "unlocked" mine twice on maiden voyage, I immediately noticed the wobble and reinstalled it. NO idea for a fix, the plan is to teach myself to be more aware of my size 13 feet, in a dry suit with big neoprene booties on!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok folks. I've read what was mentioned here, but it doesn't fit my problem, even though I DO have big size 12 feet :wink:

My drive popped out repeatedly while in rough water yesterday. I was extremely careful not to hit the release with feet, shoes, pants legs, etc. I could watch it slowly work it's way out after just a few strokes, while on the water. The speed or power of the stroke made no difference.

I tried to reproduce the effect on dry-dock, but was unable to reproduce it. With no drag force, the drive was locked in well, and would not budge.

The drive is an '06 and the hull (warranty replacement) is an '09.

Any ideas?

Puck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Puck,
Yours is a different issue that your dealer should have been aware of. :?
The Miragedrive drum shaft (axle) was changed for the CnG. The newer shaft is splined in the centre so it doesn't spin and release the levers.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12867
Its a simple fix. See your dealer. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On the agenda for Friday!

Thanks

Puck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate and Mickey: is this happening in the AI only? Sounds like something I should add to the Hobie Island Checklist.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The TI is so deep that it's not easy to accidentally knock the Click n Go handles.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captain-max wrote:
Pirate and Mickey: is this happening in the AI only? Sounds like something I should add to the Hobie Island Checklist.

As I recall it only happened during 'active' times after I accidentally moved ONE lever with a foot allowing the drive to ride up. I believe the lever is then clicked again which forces a jam. I suspect it could occur in a TI though may not be a problem if the levers are out of the way.....Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ordered, and installed, the part, but have not been able to give it a test due to timing and weather.

First weekend in October I'll be back in the salt.

Puck