Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great first pic! Look at the colour of that water! I have a feeling we're going to looking forward to your posts.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

finally assembled, had to find receiver with six inches of drop to hook up the little trailer. first trip up our driveway..

and headed for the Caicos Bank

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Geez, a TI, old landie and tropical paradise! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Two Landie's. 2005 TDi's. A 110 and a 90. Figured as long as I have to do all my own maintenance and repairs, it made sense to get identical drivetrains.

Besides, with 100% spares, I can always keep at least one of them running.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on the first sail !! Sounds like you got the boat and trailer all figured out in short order - wont be long now until you've earned the right to join The Aka-Owii Tribe

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=26593

The local Hobie shop opens in an hour - I'll call and see if they have any spare TI rudder pins on hand. I haven't read of a TI pin breaking here, but as stated it is the "sacraficial" limb for the rudder sys. and I'd hat to hear of you missing weeks of prime sailing.

I actually broke my first whilst sailing in post-hurricane winds on my AI - not hitting anything but maybe a wee bit out of spec as far as forces, wind speed, etc.

If you dont mind, I'd like to suggest exchanging Email's off the board as to our upcoming trip as well as if I can help you out with any supplies. While I haven't been "away" from civilization for years, I've been on some wild trips where what you have is ... well, what you have and I know what it is like to be without.

Hit me up with an email at

ALAN AT ITNNETWORKS DOT COM (replacing the words with symbols) and we can take it from there

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

we took the TI out again today, even though we only had light winds we managed to get up to just under 6 kts. under sail. took a little gps along. We had packed lunch, and sailed out to a small, uninhabited cay off Providenciales. We really like this boat.

How does this look for mid-December? On a small beach on the lee side of Bay Cay, TCI:

So far, the only boat issues we are having are keeping those seat pegs in. Seats keep slipping. I am thinking I might try some of that two inch wide, stick on velcro stuff.

I have some work to do on the trailer. I am going to fabricate some kind of support for the front, and need to think about shock mounting the cross bars. the road we live on is so bad that it's difficult to keep the boat from bouncing around on it. In fact, today when we got to the ramp we use, discovered that one of our brand new Hobie paddles was gone. It must have bounced out of the boat on the road somewhere, even though we thought we had it secured. drove back along the road to look for it, but someone had already picked it up. shiny new fiberglass paddle. ouch. I don't think we had even used it yet, in the 12 miles we sailed yesterday on the shakedown, and another 7 miles today for our little desert island picnic.

Passwind, thanks for the address. I'll send you an email, and you can email us through the blog too, you know.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the seat pegs, the TI should have the newer split pegs that have a SS ring under the Velcro of the seat that needs to be turned to tighten the pegs (while the are pushed into the hull tightly) so they can't slip out. I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I love the water! The dog seems to be having fun!

I have the little wedge split blocks on the seats and sometimes can get them to stay in, sometimes not. Can't figure out how I do it when I do though!

I was thinking to give up on them and try velcro as you suggest or gluing in some threaded blocks and just screwing the seats in using the same split ring under the velcro!

Any one know the secret?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Gringo. What a top spot you've got there mate. Really enjoyed looking through your blog as well. With some of the excellent photos you're posting you should pick out your 3 best and give them a go here. viewtopic.php?f=71&t=19685
It ends this coming weekend.
What camera are you using ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello Slaughter,
right now I have a couple of waterproof point and shoots. A Pentax Optio w80 and an Olympus Stylus Tough 8010. I think the Olympus might have a different name in some parts of the world. I also have an underwater housing for the Olympus for underwater shots, like that Lionfish post on the blog. Past experience with two other 'waterproof' Olympus ( Stylus 770 and 1030) made me realize that in marketing talk, 'waterproof to 10 m' actually means 'splash resistant if you're careful'.

These each have their strengths and weaknesses, the Pentax and the Olympus. Pentax much easier to carry, does a good job with zoom and telephoto. Olympus does good MP4 movies, has a good pano mode, but is horribly slow to boot up, or to get ready for a second shot. And the shutter lag is outrageously slow. It's like shooting a flintlock rifle. You press the 'trigger' and still have to hold on the target until it actually gets around to taking the photo. water spots on the little lens are common to both, but the Olympus has a little cover that flips into place and at least keeps it clean when you're not using it.

I only bought this third Olympus ( first two flooded) because they also make a nice little u/w housing for it. But I found that they actually improved the hatch closure arrangement on it this time around, too. It's kind of bulky to carry in shorts pockets, whereas the plastic Pentax is nice to keep in the pocket. I am always looking for fresh blog material here, so try to keep a camera in the cargo shorts when I leave the house.

As for the seats on the TI, this one was manufactured last month, so I assume it has the latest and greatest mods. I am thinking i am going to try the velcro route. I have some stuff left over from a project making a bikini top for a Suzuki Samurai, it's sticky stuff, two inches wide. A strip of that across the seat and the hull should do it without needing any permanent holes in the boat. Will help keep the seats from blowing around while trailering, too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gringo wrote:
So far, the only boat issues we are having are keeping those seat pegs in. Seats keep slipping. I am thinking I might try some of that two inch wide, stick on velcro stuff.

Gringo,

Sometimes when you try to tighten the seat pegs they just spin. It's really important that when you put them in the holes they are adjusted so you have to push a little to get them in and then you can turn the ring and tighten them. When you tighten the pegs you should get to the point that you can't turn the ring any more. If you can turn it very much you are just spinning in the hole. I took a rasp and roughed up the plastic inside the holes and on the pegs a little. That seemed to help a lot.

Good luck.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, y'all for the hints on the seats. I will try that. Also picked up some small blocks today and am going to try to rig some barber outhauls. I have seen photos of them rigged to the ama handles, but note there is now a little stainless eye bale there....as well as the plastic one at the back end.

Any thoughts on which is the best place for an outhaul? Would the plastic one on the back end of the ama take the strain? or is that just for securing it to the hull?