Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve Fields wrote:
ROBO wrote:
Hi All
We do understand that this information is used by Hobie to make improvements and adjustments and we trust that answers can be provided and we can all work together to make it better for us all.

Helen and Stephen Robertson
Maclean, New South Wales
Australia

Hi Guys, Hobie Aus and Hobie USA work closely together. Each and every claim or issue is discussed at a number of levels. This is done between Hobie Aus and the dealers in Australia as well as with Hobie USA (Hobie Aus and Hobie USA are the same company). We listen and make changes when required. Many thanks for the input.
Best Regards
Steve Fields

Thanks Steve. My observations are that Hobie are second to none in relation to customer support and especially warranty claims, though I fortunately have never had to yet call on that option. I like your retailer selection and training also and am very impressed with your relatively new one, Alpine Country Sale, who sold me my new 2011 AI, and have been fantastic to deal with people....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
chrisj wrote:
That's interesting Matt. I thought the purpose of the clamps was to lift the hull slightly clear of the crossbar, so as to avoid the horizontal groove that forms between the scupper holes.

The clamps take some of the load off the crossbar and distributes it to the scuppers. Some guys were placing the clamps high up on the posts to get the boat higher off the ground... that causes more stress on the scuppers than intended.
That is the three points of contact we want.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33397

My hull is soft between the scupper holes so I am trying to get my three points of contact with a creative application of PVC tubing to offset the third point of contact.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice work on the kart Tiki though I wouldn't be at all concerned about the flexibility of the hull there near the scupper holes. That is its design and I haven't seen a permanent problem at the lower skin of the hull caused by the karts. The polyethylene is very forgiving in my experience and if locally deformed from too much weight on it for a short period, it's memory kicks in when released from the weight and it returns to normal. I carted my new dune AI around upright on my roof racks padded with the 'Pirate Pillows' for a full week just recently and it was pulled down with the Hobie straps to the max. After I released it I noticed a deformation line across the hull between the scuppers and the drain tubes. The front bar sits right under the Mirage Drive well which is a far less flexible area. I put it back on its rack in the garage which also has the 'pirate pilows' to cushion, but not strapped down, and within a few days the dent was completely gone. My friend Mickey had his new TI delivered to him on roof racks but on its side and it caused quite a dent along the side of the hull. Careful use of heat and a little internal pressure and the deformation popped out over a day or two. A more permanent problem may occur if the hulls were subjected to that deformation over a longer period, though even then heat and a bit of internal pressure could bring the hull back to normal....pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Pirate, I am glad to hear your experience with these boats. When I read some of the stuff on here I start to get paranoid about messing up my boat. I do cart mine quite a bit so I have been overly concerned about anything related to scupper carts.

What are your Pirate Pillows ?

Anything like these here?

Oh and I almost forgot. One of my amas has a lot of curvature to it at the front and looks weird so I tried a little heat there and it did straighten it out but then when it cooled it went back to its original shape. Do you think if I try it a few times more it might stay?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow....I really like those pillows, but alas mine aren't quite so desirable. If you search for pirate pillows you should find more info on them on this forum.
In relation to your ama, if it is different in shape to your other which is normal then it was probably incorrectly manufactured in the first place and no amount of heat will bring it back into the shape you need. I would look at it as a warranty issue as the shape affects your sailing. Why not post a picture of the good one beside the distorted one here for us to comment on...Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No need to post the pics of the ama. They were reviewed by the dealer and Hobie and they agreed it isn't right. They asked if I would set it out in the sun and I have to no avail. I'll be looking for a replacement when they get around to shipping it here. That reminds me, I need to tell the dealer the sun didn't help!

Aloha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tiki Tack wrote:
No need to post the pics of the ama. They were reviewed by the dealer and Hobie and they agreed it isn't right. They asked if I would set it out in the sun and I have to no avail. I'll be looking for a replacement when they get around to shipping it here. That reminds me, I need to tell the dealer the sun didn't help!

Aloha

Arrrrr come on Tiki...I would do it for you. I am interested in how distorted an ama could come out like....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tiki Tack wrote:
Thanks Pirate, I am glad to hear your experience with these boats. When I read some of the stuff on here I start to get paranoid about messing up my boat. I do cart mine quite a bit so I have been overly concerned about anything related to scupper carts.

What are your Pirate Pillows ?

Anything like these here?

Oh and I almost forgot. One of my amas has a lot of curvature to it at the front and looks weird so I tried a little heat there and it did straighten it out but then when it cooled it went back to its original shape. Do you think if I try it a few times more it might stay?

Now there's a set of pillows that would give any pirate a good nights sleep :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dunno Mickey...I might have to run her thru first..Pirate :wink: