Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My son and I had a scare while sailing off Perth (AUST) . While sailing around a small island watching the seals ,a wave about a meter high hit us from the side We did not see it as we were both looking the opposite way . The front left Ama lifted and snapped at the swivel with a bang . We then pulled the ama against the kayak tied it up and limped a long way home .
Has anyone heard of this happening . And is this a safety design if too much pressure is exerted from the side . I`m a fairly new to the TI . Been out about 8 times off the beach in two months and really enjoying ourselves .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well that's not good! Glad you're both are well.

Where exactly did it break? Can you post pictures?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Terry,
What KBob said!
First I've heard of it. :? Please post some pics.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Terry first I have heard of also, but I am sure John at Reef Bros (Hobie dealer)will be able to help you sort it out. I have had mine for about 6 months and spend a lot of time round Penguin Island and Seal Island (South of Perth) and have had no issues with the Aka's, ama's or rudder for that matter. Now my seat is another matter cant seem to get the thing to stay in, my wifes is fine but not mine - might have to swap :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I took a piece of 60 grit sand paper and roughed up the little jamb knob thingum on the seat, and also made vertical sanding motions into the holes in the hull. My thought was to increase the friction between the seat part, which was rotating when I tightened it, and the kayak plastic. And it seems to have worked. Now when I twist the circular key ring do dad to tighten the seat, it only turns a couple turns and then stops. Before, it kept turning as long as I twisted and swore at it.

I bet you could get a similar situation if you put one of those lobster claw rubber bands around the threaded section of the seat post. You want it to draw tight instead of spinning in place.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

sucks to hear about your snap, but good to see another Perth Hobie owner! Might see you out sometime.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ChaosDave wrote:
sucks to hear about your snap, but good to see another Perth Hobie owner! Might see you out sometime.

hope to see you I normally go out at Ocean reef or go down to the river, Matilda bay ( my wife does not like the waves ) . I normally fish alone up at ocean reef , not that successful yet but still learning .. where , or can you suggest places to go to . I have just sorted out a trailer to get around with and i find this a whole lot easier .. hope to see you out there

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:
Well that's not good! Glad you're both are well.

Where exactly did it break? Can you post pictures?

Terry was it the pin or rivets that broke :roll:
There has been a recent report from the Everglades Challenge of rivets getting loose & sloppy.
I have concerns about the use of aluminum & stainless steel causing rust.
One of my mates has had his 2011 AI for 3 months & has discovered rust on the akas. He always washes his boat down after use.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gringo thanks for the tip I tried it and it works! will be going out tomorrow so hopefully it will stay put.

Terry sorry for the hijack :) - did you contact your Hobie dealer? if so what did they say?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

terrygregory wrote:
ChaosDave wrote:

hope to see you I normally go out at Ocean reef or go down to the river, Matilda bay ( my wife does not like the waves ) . I normally fish alone up at ocean reef , not that successful yet but still learning .. where , or can you suggest places to go to . I have just sorted out a trailer to get around with and i find this a whole lot easier .. hope to see you out there

Awesome, our boats are currently at claremont yacht club but am in the process of putting together a new trailer as i much prefer the ocean over the river, but my girl hates the waves also. Thinking of doing a rotto crossing someday if we can get a few hobies and a support boat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ChaosDave wrote:
Thinking of doing a rotto crossing someday if we can get a few hobies and a support boat.

I have been thinking about that also would be great to organise a group trip, I remember you did a Carnac Island trip. I fancy doing that in the near future.

Terry - I do most of my fishing around penguin Island and Garden Island, but also go to Woodmans point sometimes and down to the river at Pinjarra. I suppose it depends on what type of fishing you like and what fish you want to target!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Getting off thread here,..

I wish to see color photos of the carnage. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am thinking it be argued that by up-scaling the AI to the TI, Hobie have created something that may be a bit too lightly constructed to cope with the extra pressure on all the fittings. Lots of things seem to keep failing on them...hmmm :? ..Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Any photos of the damage yet?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

jms2756 wrote:
ChaosDave wrote:
Thinking of doing a rotto crossing someday if we can get a few hobies and a support boat.

I have been thinking about that also would be great to organise a group trip, I remember you did a Carnac Island trip. I fancy doing that in the near future.

Terry - I do most of my fishing around penguin Island and Garden Island, but also go to Woodmans point sometimes and down to the river at Pinjarra. I suppose it depends on what type of fishing you like and what fish you want to target!

Yeh Carnac is beautiful and a very sacred place for me as i just took my dads ashes out there but always keen to go.