Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Setup Questions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Have set mine up but will have a few questions over the next couple of days as a few things remain confusing.

1) Sail tension. - How much tension do you need to apply to the thin carbon spars? They stick out the top of the pockets.

2) There are lots of deck fixtures that I've not yet identified! Its ready to sail but sure some of these loops and hoops have uses to make my life easier!

3) With all the attention to details and extras suprised the drive system doesn't have its own bag. Not a standard item?

Due to working hours won't have it on the water for 2 weeks :( so taking the time getting used to the boat and its function ready for the water so I'm not wasting time adjusting things.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Setup Questions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Pav!

pav wrote:
1) Sail tension. - How much tension do you need to apply to the thin carbon spars? They stick out the top of the pockets.
On the AI, I put a lot of tension, and I cut the battens 1+ inches shorter, but making sure they still stick out of the pockets. Also tie them much better than the instructions, with permanent knots at each grommet and batten tip (or the rear one will leave!).

TI's should have less tension or the battens warp the sail shape.

pav wrote:
2) There are lots of deck fixtures that I've not yet identified! Its ready to sail but sure some of these loops and hoops have uses to make my life easier!
Details? Pictures? (which ones?) :)

pav wrote:
3) With all the attention to details and extras surprised the drive system doesn't have its own bag. Not a standard item?
Nope, and the drive is such an odd shape (wide pedals perpendicular to wide fins) it's hard to figure out how to store, secure a spare on the boat and even transport them, but boy does it work well!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. Thats useful.
Dark nights but as soon as I can get a photo I'll edit 1 and put some numbers on the fixtures and then maybe someone could detail what each is for!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hobie1

hobie

1 ?
2 To clip bungee to - Paddle holder?
3 ?
4 Seat clip? (is it just me that finds it difficult to click into)
5 ?
6 ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pav,
The AI shares the same hull as the Adventure so with this in mind:
1) Back of Seat bungee retainer (stops seat back flopping forward)
2) Paddle bungee retainer (Adventure)
3) Daggerboard bungee retainer. VERY IMPORTANT- Make sure bungee is threaded through daggerboard padeye (near cup holder) and then looped over retainer (so the DB kicks up if it hits something)
4) Seat clip
5) General purpose padeye for leashing stuff to.
6) Small sail cleat (Adventure) This fitting can be replaced with a padeye or you can add a small stainless padeye bolt through the cleat fitting (remove it first) For more info see Page2 here- viewtopic.php?f=71&t=11640
Also see Roadrunners excellent fittings post here
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8922&p=45553

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I managed a couple of paddles in December with just the Adventure. Amazed by the hobie drive system (I did not believe it would work as it does!). With the drive I seem to cut through the estuary currents.

Yesterday got it out in sail mode for the first time. Very pleased that all went to plan and setup and launching was easy. I'll post some photos under a different thread at some point as use the karitek roofrack system and a C Tug trailer which makes things very easy solo.

Another setup query as I learn about the boat. When you reef in the sail you pull the cord. When you let out sail the cord is pulled back in, and ends up very short by your feet. Does this cause anyone else a problem. I find it a long way away when the winds gust and I want to reef in quickly to slow my pulse! Have I setup correctly? I plan to add a cord to lengthen it but if I've setup correctly why dont they provide a longer cord.

Glad to have managed a sail in 2010! This is an exciting yak.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pav, tie the end of the mainsheet to the end of the reefing line. That should solve your problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thankyou! (I should add I'm not a sailor, but learning fast). 30+ yrs of kayaking but very little time spent with sails so these things don't appear obvious to me.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Number 6 is where you put the main sheet hook when transporting and where you can put a mirage drive or paddle leash.

Can't understand why people change this one out as it is very handy for holding main sheet line during trailering.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

2 new questions.

1.) The bottom of the boat at the rear has 2 plastic plugs. One is on the side, and I can see is the drain plug. What the other one at the end of the keel. Seems to have a brass thread. Its recessed in a notch at the end of the keel. Its a 2010 model.

2.) In the bag of bits Hobie was kind to provided I have 2 x 40(approx)mm length bolts. They both have a white nylon nut. What should I have used these for? , or are they spares for something.

as always, thanks for the help. Pav.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

"...3) With all the attention to details and extras suprised the drive system doesn't have its own bag. Not a standard item?"
There is a bag for the Mirage drive (if you haven't found out by now): http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaks/accessories/
...but I am afraid you'll have to pay for it. Should be included IMHO.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pav wrote:
The bottom of the boat at the rear has 2 plastic plugs. One is on the side, and I can see is the drain plug. What the other one at the end of the keel. Seems to have a brass thread. Its recessed in a notch at the end of the keel. Its a 2010 model.
Both are drain plugs. The side one is the original
Adventure (kayak) drain and not very useful for the AI other than I use it to blow air into the hull to check for leaks. The new rear one is great if you trailer the AI. Just open it up on an incline while washing off the boat an it drains water from the hull. Just remember to replace it.

I do have mixes emotions about a drain below the waterline, but it dies it's job well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks.
can anyone explain what the 2 bolts are for?
2.) In the bag of bits Hobie was kind to provided I have 2 x 40(approx)mm length bolts. They both have a white nylon nut. What should I have used these for? , or are they spares for something.

Its a similar feeling as when you take something apart and end up with spare bolts once you have reassembled it :shock: ! If I put them somewhere safe I'd like to know what they may be used for in the future.

cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pav wrote:
thanks.
can anyone explain what the 2 bolts are for?
They're extra aka cross-brace sheer-bolts. Unless you have the new style aka, i also remove the extra sheer-bolts on the cross-brace and use the hole to tie a line around the aka, so if a sheer-bolt break, you won't loose the cross-brace to the bottom.

My other AI mods: http://www.kayakingbob.com/hobie-ai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You certainly do use very pretty colours for your cord and tape Bob..or is it Bobby?..LOL..Pirate