Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fun and games
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well a 2nd outing and very light winds.

1. The fin fell off the mast, it must have pulled past the knurled nut which is still on there, no apparent damage to the fin, I just happen to find it floating later on. I put the drive in and took it out in deep water.

2. The rear of the floats are dragging on the ground when using the new trolley with the sand wheels, hardly any clearance under the sterns, are the floats low or are the tyres underinflated? It being only the second time I've used the trolley. Its a lot of hard work dragging it all up the beach, harder than I think it needs to be?

Post subject: Re: fun and games
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Weysail wrote:
2. The rear of the floats are dragging on the ground when using the new trolley with the sand wheels, hardly any clearance under the sterns, are the floats low or are the tyres underinflated? It being only the second time I've used the trolley. Its a lot of hard work dragging it all up the beach, harder than I think it needs to be?

Both AI and TI ama will drag at the rear. You can use a roof rack strap at the stern looped over the hull and under both ama and back through the buckle. Tighten it up and the ama will clear the ground better. Don't over inflate the sand tyres as it will make them less effective and void their warranty.
Regarding problem #1 that occurs when the drive is not inserted correctly. Make sure the drive is seated correctly on the front drivewell ledge.

Post subject: Re: fun and games
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I did wonder if it was something to do with the guarantee issue I had when the boat was new, the holes in the floats had to be opened up by the dealer to get the arms in. Now the floats won't pull in to the main hull completely. i.e. the holes are misaligned?

If you say that the dragging is normal, I don't know if I want to keep this boat, I have to bend over to pull it, I don't want to hurt my back, I'll just end up with a injured back and a damaged boat.

Surely Hobie have made an outfit that doesn't drag on the ground by design?????

RE: the drive fin coming off, it seems to be easy to catch the securing buttons and flick them over so the drive is not secured, I had to reset them a few times whilst I was out, that may be the problem?