Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New hull feels bad!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

:?: Hello all, I am a newbie to your forum and basically a newbie to the wonderful world of the TI.
I have owned the TI since July and last week Hobie came to the party and gave me a new hull as the original cracked around the scupper tubes because of the cart I use. I have never stored the TI on the cart and I always used the locking pin.
I went on my first run with the new hull yesterday, it felt really different to the original, at first I put this down to tweaking and tuning it also has the new rudder system which does give a different feel. Upon pulling it out of the water I noticed the skupper tubes pushing up about 3/4", I had never noticed this with the original. I got it home and started to look much closer and I have found the wall infront of the scupper tubes to be very thin in fact there is alot of flex in this section when I pick the boat up from the rear and it will almost bounce?
I rang my dealer and he had never heard of such a complaint, has anyone else experienced anything similar?
Loosing sleep

Post subject: Re: New hull feels bad!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:57 am 
Site Admin

The tubes would not push up from sailing, so I assume you had it on a cart at some point? The walls are not as thick as some other areas of the boat, so that is somewhat expected. Thickness varies a lot due to shapes and the flow of the plastic in molding.

If the scuppers are already distorted and pushing up into the cockpit... that is odd.

You are in Australia? Your dealer will be working with our facility in Australia for any needed remedy, so work with your dealer on this.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt!
I am in Australia, Yes it was on the cart when I pulled it from the water this made the scupper tubes distort alot, I had never noticed this with the original although it must have been happening because this is the same place it cracked. I am very keen to check the thickness of the same wall on another TI, the one I have actually makes a wobble board sound when it flexes in and out when pushed when it is on the cart.
Thanks for your time!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Your dealer will be working with our facility in Australia for any needed remedy, so work with your dealer on this.

Work with the dealer.

Cheers

Steve Fields
Hobie Cat Australasia

http://www.hobiecat.com.au