Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The more I get to know the new AI hull, the more I think they have taken some backward steps. I used to stow all my water in the rear hold of my 2009 AI when I went camping. The rudder control lines were all nicely conduited out of the way. With the new hull, the lines are all unsheathed and running straight down the middle of the hold. Would anyone actually dare to stuff anything in there? So it seems we have basically lost an entire storage compartment. To what end?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I put a "ton" of stuff back there. Just push the lines out of the way. I guess you could say it is a little less convenient (to push the lines out of the way,) but I don't see any difference in capacity.

I need to clarify a bit. My "ton" is actually pretty light. I put bulky, but light things back there because I carry a heavy cooler.

If I were not carrying a cooler in the rear deck storage, that is where my water would go. I do carry a 4 L Dromedary bag of water immediately behind my seat and in front of the cooler. I also carry about 4 L of frozen water in my cooler--it is for drinkng. I carry another 4 L of frozen water in the cooler that is simply for cooling--cooling of all the fish we intend to catch.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was hoping you would reply Keith. You obviously pack a lot of stuff on your boat for your expeditions. Where do you stow your water? I was assuming if I stuffed anything in the rear hold, it would be likely to foul the rudder lines.

Oops, you answered my question just as I was posting it. Thanks.

How about the gallon a day for your Everglades trips?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While you were posting I was editing my post to talk about water. That amount of water, plus a liter of gatorade on deck is about all the water I need on a 3-day trip--we are going on one tomorrow. Of course, for longer trips, you can store a lot of bottled water under under the cockpit or any place a bottle of water will fit.

I do worry about the steering lines and try to remember to check the rudder movement before launching each day.

Regarding the gal/day rule, on long trips I like to adhere to that pretty strickly. Short trips, like the Fri-Sun trip starting tomorrow, I'm carrying 2.6 gal of water (+ my ice water for cooling fish, but it could be used in a pinch.) Even that 2.6 gal will be 2-3 L more than I need. On short trips the gal/day can be applied with a bit of common sense. Tomorrow, we won't leave until 1 pm. And we will return on Sunday at about 1 pm--so, the first and last day are really half days. So, my 2.6 gal is too much--but who knows, I may need the extra to ice down my fish.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why not route the rudder lines though a padeye and solve the issue? I'll post a picture shortly.

J

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The upgraded boats have knots in the lines in that area and may not thread through padeyes. As I said above, the lines interfering in the back hatch do not bother me that much, inconvenient-yes, but a problem--no.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, it was all those knots that had me worried about fouling the lines. If they're not causing you a problem Keith, I'll be guided by you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris, I know you haven't been a fan of the new rudder. You & others have made some good points, but I think the new rudder is a major functional improvement over the old. Here is a quote from a recent trip.

Quote:
While waiting for the tide to come in (and give us a ride through Indian Key Pass), we compared our rudders: Twist-n-Stow vs the Vertical rudder. Clearly, the Vertical rudder is much more robust: 8” wide vs 7” on the T&S. And, the Vertical rudder extends 14.5” below the transom vs only 11” for the T&S. The Vertical rudder extends up and beyond the mid-line—the depth to which our boats are submerged when loaded for camping. The vertical rudder is a smart, major improvement over the T&S.

From some of the stories and my observations during recent Watertribe Everglades Challenge, the new rudder is a much better sailing rudder than the old T&S.

I'm shuting down. Got to get up early for a trip tomorrow.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon