Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can't seem to find the answer using the search feature. But can someone confirm the size and brand used as rudder lines for the Adventure/AI and TI?

It looks like 1.5mm grey spectra line is comming out from the hull of my Adventure. And 1.5mm Vectran out from my TI.

cheers!

c2y

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks like the line sizes are:

1.75mm Spectra for my rudder lines on my Adventure.

2.2mm Spectra for my rudder lines on my TI.

After inspecting my rudder lines this weekend, I didn't find any signs of damage. Even were there were knots to accomodate the new rudder. Will keep a small spool of the stuff in my ditch bag just in case.

cheers!

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cliffs2yak wrote:
Looks like the line sizes are:

1.75mm Spectra for my rudder lines on my Adventure.

2.2mm Spectra for my rudder lines on my TI.

After inspecting my rudder lines this weekend, I didn't find any signs of damage. Even were there were knots to accommodate the new rudder. Will keep a small spool of the stuff in my ditch bag just in case.

cheers!

cliffs2yak

Wow, no wear at all? After 3 months use mine looked like they were attacked by an anger spouse with 12 grit sand paper. That, combined with all the knots, pushed me to fully replace the rudder lines. I made a very significant safety improvement when I did it. Hobie has three individual sections of rudder line and if one loop falls off a tiller post, the whole system fails. This happened to me and natural not on a nice day. The loops in my rudder lines for the tiller posts are looped though each other and crimped in place. So it is one complete line rather than three separate pieces. see pic...

I also added a closed eyelet, the OEM hook rotated on me once, the rudder lines fell off, and I lost steering.

j

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Kayakman,

Thought it was strange too but the rudder lines looked clean on my TI and Adventure (2011). I didn't like the idea of having too many knots in my TI's rudder lines, so I was planning to replace them if they look worn. But they didn't.

I probably don't take my boat out as much as you do. And my sailing methods are conservative. You might need to check tension, clearances, and other factors that could cause excessive wear. I do have some play in my rudder controls; but, they don't seem to affect my steering very much. Or I haven't noticed. Even the spectra I used to leash my aka joints from slipping out looks good.

So far so good here...(while knocking on wood).

c2y