Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: uneven crossbars
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just received my Hobie Island Adventure today and the port amas is 8 inches higher in the front than the starboard amas. The starboard amas is even with the kayak forward and aft. The port one is much higher in the front. Its looks ridiculous and I am sure it will sail much worse then it looks. It appears that the welding of the crossbar pin holders were not set up correctly. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix.

Problem solved: see my reply this page Tue Jul 10, 2012

Last edited by T0m on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: uneven crossbars
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Contact your dealer to file a warranty claim. If the weld is bad, we will replace the crossbeam. In the meantime... sail the boat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update the dealer is going to stop by and have a look. They have assured me that the boat will be right and will work to that end. So far my dealer has been great with replacing the mast bearing race which was not holding the nylon bearings in place and also replacing the rear pad eye which broke during delivery from a defect in the casting. I have to say that my first Hobie adventure ( 2006 ) seems to be of a much higher quality then my new one. Although the new rudder lifting mechanism is an improvement, the fit and finish of the new model are markedly diminished, and not of the quality I would expect from the Hobie I have known for many years. If any of the powers that be read this post please consider the Hobie reputation before you cut any more corners. The only thing Hobie has had over its competitors is quality and innovation. Losing that edge would be a terrible price to pay. If I wanted a Walmart boat I would go to Walmart. I wanted a Hobie , I paid the price for a Hobie, and I expected a Hobie. I hope I didn't hurt to many feeling with post, but I just had to get that off my chest.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:43 am 
Site Admin

Not sure what you are seeing as diminished quality since the last Adventure... other than these few issues maybe? The boat itself and fittings have been improved since 2006.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Matt,
I guess my biggest problem is the way my boat was finished. Please understand that I had to save for this boat, I couldn't wait to have have it, and I was very excited and happy when I knew it was going to be delivered. I happened to see the dealers truck coming down my street on the delivery day, to me the Hobie Adventure is a beautiful sight in or out of the water, and this day it looked more beautiful then ever because it was coming to me. Imagine my disappointment when the problems became apparent. I know that sometimes a defect will make it out the factory unnoticed, but there is little excuse for delivering an adventure island with a bearing race problem as this defect has been well known for some time. I will admit that I told the dealer he did not have to assemble the amas when he delivered the boat, so he had no idea of that problem and I am sure he would not have left the boat here had he known that there was a problem with them. The point here is that all these problems originated at the factory and I have to wonder if the assembly techs really care about the product they are building. I believe they have all the tools and materials necessary to deliver a quality product but lack the motivation or desire to take pride in their work. As a loyal Hobie customer I think I and all other Hobie customers deserve to have a quality control inspection of our boats before they leave the factory so we will not have to suffer the disappointment of receiving a boat that is less then what we expect or deserve for our hard earned money.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:41 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the clarification. I certainly understand your frustration. I will pass your comments to the factory.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

T0m wrote:
Hi Matt,
I guess my biggest problem is the way my boat was finished. Please understand that I had to save for this boat, I couldn't wait to have have it, and I was very excited and happy when I knew it was going to be delivered. I happened to see the dealers truck coming down my street on the delivery day, to me the Hobie Adventure is a beautiful sight in or out of the water, and this day it looked more beautiful then ever because it was coming to me. Imagine my disappointment when the problems became apparent. I know that sometimes a defect will make it out the factory unnoticed, but there is little excuse for delivering an adventure island with a bearing race problem as this defect has been well known for some time. I will admit that I told the dealer he did not have to assemble the amas when he delivered the boat, so he had no idea of that problem and I am sure he would not have left the boat here had he known that there was a problem with them. The point here is that all these problems originated at the factory and I have to wonder if the assembly techs really care about the product they are building. I believe they have all the tools and materials necessary to deliver a quality product but lack the motivation or desire to take pride in their work. As a loyal Hobie customer I think I and all other Hobie customers deserve to have a quality control inspection of our boats before they leave the factory so we will not have to suffer the disappointment of receiving a boat that is less then what we expect or deserve for our hard earned money.
Tom

well said, i also wondered how my boat came without a pin for one of the Akas seems hobie need to work on there quality testing at the factory.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

We always try hard to get it right... but it happens in large scale production, and its not high tech like you see in electronics and car assembly. The dealers usually catch these issues during assembly or what they call "commissioning" of a boat. If shipped direct or not assembled by a dealer... this important step is missed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
We always try hard to get it right... but it happens in large scale production, and its not high tech like you see in electronics and car assembly. The dealers usually catch these issues during assembly or what they call "commissioning" of a boat. If shipped direct or not assembled by a dealer... this important step is missed.

I understand this but Hobie is a worldwide company and so if you don't live in the states getting parts and replacement bits can take a long time. I think it would be in everybody's best interests if hobie employed a quality inspector to have a quick look over boats before they went into packaging. Maybe give them a check-sheet or something each boat would only take 1 or 2 minutes to thoroughly check.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

feel free to employ me if you go ahead with the idea ;)

Quote:
Got ants in my pants and I need to dance

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

T0m wrote:
I just received my Hobie Island Adventure today and the port amas is 8 inches higher in the front than the starboard amas. The starboard amas is even with the kayak forward and aft. The port one is much higher in the front. Its looks ridiculous and I am sure it will sail much worse then it looks. It appears that the welding of the crossbar pin holders were not set up correctly. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix.

I have figured out the fix. Below see some pics of crossbar height adjustment mechanism that can be used to raise or lower amas at the front end. Adjust these with your hull on a flat surface. Do not try to raise only one side to even your amas. Raise one and lower the other by the same amount. Take your time and adjust a little at a time until you are happy with the results.