Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi there Islanders!

I have some input about the curved areas around the front hatch on the 2012 Adventure Island.

Last Thursday I finally took delivery of a yellow AI. Like you Kal-P-Dal I live in Sweden and like you I also have a hull with few straight lines around the front hatch.

This weekend I went out two times. On Saturday, my first outing ever in an AI, alot of water splashed over the bow in speeds of about 8 knots. The waves were about a foot / 30 cm high and the trip lasted for around 5 hours. After the trip I had about 2 deciliter ( a cup) of water in the hull. No problem other than the fact that I nearly drowned myself from all the water because I couldn't stop smiling. :lol:

The second trip on Sunday lasted about 3 hours, with large waves breaking over the boat. The boat was much more confident than I was... :shock: The steering was very heavy and I had alot of problems keeping the lines where I wanted. The lessons learned is that I need to lock the rudder down in large waves... After the trip about 1 liter was emtied from the hull.

The strange curves around the front hatch is, on my boat, not causing any unexpected leaking.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have some news about this topic.

My dealer was on a visit to Hobie US and took the opportunity to raise the question about my leaking front hatch. She went together with a Hobie representative (Brandon) and actually looked on different AI's in stock and production.
Hobie are now aware of the problem and stated that it is a Hobie problem (not mine).

Thanks for that Hobie! :D I have no intention to claim a new hull at this point, I will try to fix the problem myself. But now I feel ok with tampering with the hull cut.

But the claim is filed in July and it took until now to get an answer. It really shouldn't be necessary to "send" your dealer to US to get the information through.
Maybe this is an effect of bad working, too long "chain of supply"?

And, of course a BIG THANK YOU to my dealer! She never thought this was my fault from the beginning.

I will post pictures of what I do to solve this, if there is any interest.

br
thomas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My advice to you is not to compromise your hull by making any radical attempts at repair. As Hobie has recognised this to be a production issue, I don't believe you should do anything that could jeopardise your safe sailing just to avoid hull replacement.

My $0.02
PS. My faith in Hobie's attitude regarding warranty issues continues to soar....