Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As far as I know this has never occured when using tramps. It's another plus for using tramps on the TI, even with haka.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yaknrugger:
I have found that although the improved knuckle joint on the AKA's is generally reliable, you have to make sure it is clicked into place and locked securely. The simple solution I am recommending works perfectly to prevent the AKA's from coming out, it also prevents the AMA's from rattling around and dropping on the bungy things.
I just use a piece of 1/4" nylon (stretchy) rope connected from the metal padeye in the center of the left AMA, wrapped in front of the left AKA brace (the brace that attached the AKA to the hull), then back behind the entire AKA brace (in the center so it's out of the way), then around the right AKA to the hull bracket, then out to the metal padeye on the right AMA. this forms a truss type brace to both hold the AKA/AMA's on, and also keeps the AMA bungies from stretching and flopping around. It also prevents the AMA from folding in the event of a sheer pin break on the AKA brace (the main purpose of the mod).
Once you string the rope through the hull and adjust the length it can be left with the hull during storage (so you only have to do it once). I have stainless clips on each end that clip to the AMA padeyes so it only takes 20-30 seconds to attach as your setting up the boat each time. When done sailing I just stuff the rope ends into the mesh pockets for storage.
He is a pic of the rope in place.
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob,

I have seen your solution as well, and because of the dual purpose was very close to implementing. I am looking for something more low profile, as I typically have 2 fisherman aboard with up to 4 or 5 lines out at a time. My only concern with your fix is getting hooks and lures tangled in the tension lines (I've hooked myself with trebles before) :oops:

As far as locking them goes, I always listen for that reassuring click. After the incident, when I got back to the launch, I was able to replicate the issue multiple times. I will post a video this afternoon if I can. It's the craziest thing.

President - Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association

Like us on Facebook!

Check out my PA12 mods HERE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob's lines would go neatly under some tramps, I suppose. But I ditched the tramps for the Haka and my concern would be that any lines in there could interfere with paddling and entry/exit, especially on the AI. So, probably not for everyone.

KBobs leashes are great, and I'm thinking that each Ama should have a tether too, after all the carnage we have seen lately. :wink: